1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Needs fluid?? question....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 21, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Okay, have had 3 Boss V's so far. Just sold them all and went and bought (2) Boss V's and a Boss V-XT.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just wanted to make sure this isn't a different issue.

All 3, 2 bought from one shop, 1 bought at another, story for a different thread, none will lift when in the scoop postition.

I'm pretty sure it's lack of fluid, but just wanted to check with anyone else that's gotten new plows this year.

I'm only asking because a new one I got in '04, burned the motor out on the first snowfall, and just want to make sure I'm not getting (3) like that this year.

I would have thought that the one that I bought at a different shop, maybe that one would be different, the first shop where I got the 2 at, maybe they screwed up, but no, all 3.

Someone tell me I'm thinking along the right lines, put more fluid in.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It should lift when in the scoop. We always check the oil level in all our equipment when bought new. My new truck the rear pot was down 3/4 of a litre. It's so easy to check the oil level on the new Boss and if you overflow it, it just comes out the breather. I never trust a dealer, I always double check. Fill one up and see if it fixes your problem.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You don't want to check the fluid level in the scoop position from what I have read.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your right, check it with the wings back and the blade down.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to tell if it's out of fluid in the scoop postion before even looking at the fluid level.
    The pump will change "pitch" if it starts sucking air if it's under filled...

6. LwnmwrMan22

Correct, it "sounds" like it's sucking air, but that's what happened when the motor blew previously.

7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Did you check it yet?

8. LwnmwrMan22

Update -

Between the 3 plows, I used 2 1/2 quarts of oil.

All of you guys that are new to V plows, better go out and put the plow into scoop and make sure it'll lift all the way.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Glad you fixed theproblem before the snow starts. :salute:

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

this is topping off the 3 ? i put the required 2qts in my 8ft 2" power v xt and i think its doing this just testing it for a couple minutes trying to get the air out. probably needs more than 2qts id assume.