1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Needing Help

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Nlatham81, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Nlatham81

Nlatham81 Junior Member

Help please.

Me and my coworker where plowing duing the first big snow this year. We started Friday afternoon and clocked out after 6pm Saturday. The issue is early Saturday one of our trucks went down, and in route to get tools from our shop our other truck got stuck. That was from around 3am till almost noon Saturday. Then we where stuck at the shop until finally securing a ride after 6pm. Employer initially was refusing to pay anything after 6am, but was told he would adjust until we arrived at the shop. Does he have to pay us for being snowed in at the shop during the storm.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Was your truck(s) making any money is said time in question?

3. Nlatham81

Nlatham81 Junior Member

Work trucks, not personal. Truck was in route to get tools to fix other work truck that went down. The truck that we where in the 4x4 wasn't functional. The truck that went down wasn't wired properly. Stuck on side of road for 8 hours then at our shop for another 7 hours. Finally got a ride from an employee of another company to get to coworkers families house. Owner had no ideas or suggestions of how or when to get us out. We also where not informed of not being paid until we we got paid.

4. dieselss

So again were the trucks pushing snow making money?

5. Nlatham81

Nlatham81 Junior Member

No, not pushing, or making money.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Explain you employment status?

Full time, part time, sub contractor,

Details man, we are not dentist

7. Nlatham81

Nlatham81 Junior Member

Full time, when hours are available.

8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

If I'm understanding that correctly, you should be paid for as long as you are at work. I am also not a lawyer and probably no one on here is, so keep that in mind also.

9. dieselss

So if his trucks aren't making money, why should you?

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

This is off topic of the op, but you should have been paid until you got back to the shop, if you were released from work at that time but "couldn't secure a ride" that sounds like your problem not his.

11. 1olddogtwo

Risk of ownership.

If I owned a McDonald's and no one came in during a Blizzard, I would still have to pay my employees, wouldn't I?

12. Nlatham81

Nlatham81 Junior Member

Will do. I have someone else looking into it from a more legal perspective. I do appreciate any advice.

13. dieselss

Would your employees just be standing around? Or would they be swimming in the sink?

14. Longae29

Edit. I read this wrong.

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No,

At 6pm the manager,
    Becuse of the blizzard, tells some of the employes they can go home. Having no way home they stay at work.

Do they still get paid for hanging out?

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Or Fornicating in the ball pit.

17. 1olddogtwo

Agreed, once released, no more free fries for them!

18. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I agree

Who is in charge? Trucks broke, what do you do? Call the boss. What does he say to do? Go get other truck? How? If you were doing something productive to the company and were told to do it, you should be paid. If you decided to clean the shop because you couldn't get home, no you shouldn't be paid for that.

19. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

X2:nod::nod:

20. Longae29

Paid when you're stuck in a truck, not paid when you cant figure out how to get yourself home from the shop. But that's my take.