1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Needed: heated mirrors

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 11, 2015.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Bought a used 2013 Ram 3500 dump off of CL.

Perfect little truck for what I need it for.

ST, no power windows, no power locks, problem is no heated mirrors.

Anyone with any suggestion on what to do?? Where I could get heated mirrors after market?

I've thought about just getting the power/heated tow mirrors, cut the plug off and wire the heat / ground direct to the aux switch in the dash.

Problem is I'm not sure where those switches run to.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That would be your best bet, buying the heated mirrors. I'm thinking those switch wires come out under the hood? If not, not to hard to get it before it goes through the firewall
  3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Give Rockauto a try. Just bought 2 for my Chevy. Thought I would tie into my rear defroster switch.
  4. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

You might check and see if there is any factory wiring for them. I have added optional items in the past and found that it was just the switches and end components that were missing, so it was just a matter of finding them and plugging them in.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

This shouldn't have been moved to Dodge Truck discussion. I'm not looking for Dodge mirrors but any suggestions to turn mirrors heated. It could be on any trucks, or even tractors / loaders with mirrors if anyone had suggestions on a chemical to spray or whatever, but now it's buried in the Dodge forum.

Oh well.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ho well....
    im amazed you ventured out of the mn weather thread...
    nice to see ya.

Go on line and buy some "DODGE" heated mirrors or just the heat packs.

as mentioned the wiring is probably already in the door.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I have white 2008 duramax mirrors for sale. They auto fold by a click of a button and are heated as well. No scratches and in great condition. I bought tow mirrors so no need for them.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

I'm hoping for that. Maybe Wednesday I can pop a door panel off and find out.

The only problem is, the "defrost" button on my other '13 that came with heated mirrors isn't on the dash, so that would mean the switch isn't in place.

Plus this truck has manual windows, manual locks and a completely different arm rest in the door, the door handle is in a different position.

Probably going to have to run to the dealer ship, see if they can tell me which wire is hot when the button is pushed.

I suppose I could pull the door panel off my other '13, unplug the wires, push the button and test the wires, see if I get a signal there.

There are two black wires running together into the plug from the mirror, I'm assuming those are the ground wires, one from the heat pack, one for the motor in the mirror.

I could care less about the motor for the glass.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

Had an old tow mirror that was cracked. Cut the plug off the end, hooked some wires to the battery and by trial and error figured out which wires heat the mirrors.

Now I gotta get a new pair of mirrors, run some wires through the doors and run them to the upfit switches under the hood.

Then I can hit the upfit switch on the dash and have heated mirrors
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

If I were you, I'd go with aftermarket mirrors if you can find them. In my '13, the heating element turns off every 15 minutes or so. I'm guessing to not burn the heating element out, but it's a pain in the ass to have to keep turning them back on all the time. In the aftermarket venue you might be able to find some that don't turn off all the time.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

I'd rather have them turn off every 15 minutes so it doesn't burn out. My other '13, my '14, my '15, my Durango and my '08 minivan all turn off too. Not sure if that's in the mirror or the switch.
  12. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Most timers are in the switch. I put a set of heated mirrors on my 96 ram. They came from a 98. I have a switch that I can turn on and off. I went to the junkyard and got a rear defroster switch out of a doaner vehicle I just haven't gotten around to wiring the switch in yet.
  13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict