1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Needed - Ford Differential (Dana 50)

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by MC5LawnServices, Feb 20, 2011.

1. MC5LawnServices

MC5LawnServices Junior Member

Hi I have a 1992 F250 with a broken left front differential (Dana 50) 3.55 gear ratio, twin IFS. I need a replacement because mine has a broken I-beam. If you know anyone or have a source for one please call me Tim - 734-444-9868

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you find a dana 60 from a f350 with he gear ratio you want get that and the trac bar and trac bar mount from the frame. and the steering linkage if i recall.

then its a bolt in deal drop the twin i-beam stuff all off. bolt in the dana 60

and the calipers swap over as far as i know. and if you find a drw axle only. the front srw hubs you have on the 50 will swap right over to make the drw a srw dana 60.

i wouldnt bother fixin the 50 front if it was mine.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2, i do not think you need the track bar but you definitely need the steering linkage. The D-60 should bolt right in and is by far stronger. As mentioned above everything from the spindles out is the same as the D-60 so you want to keep those parts. The twin I-Beam is crap IMO, i ran it for yrs in a half ton and i saw no advantage over the old Solid axle twin I-beam. Solid axle is the way to go!!

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have a complete low mile 60 from an 03, leafs, track bar, steering and everything included. It's a 3.73 gear though, manual hubs. Depends how much of a project you are looking for I guess.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

wont work right. its metric front end parts/studs/lugnuts. he would have to get diffrent parts and rework some..

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u need the trac bar i have done several convertions

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ohhhh yeah

9. PSD

PSD Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a few dana 50's here. Near Akron Ohio.

10. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i do have a couple 50s and 60s with the brackets but im in ma

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i have 2 complete dana 50's. one out of a 96 and one from an 86. but i'm in ct.....

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

IIRC the Dana 50 and the 60 have different points for the tie rod connections on the spindles - otherwise identical (metric to metric and inch to inch). Tho I have heard the 50 is 32 spline and the 60 is 35 spline in Ford.
    I've got a 60 front coming from a parts truck to convert my Dodge to locking hubs - there are several good threads on that which contain a lot of info on the differences between 50's and 60's. The Tie rod location makes the 50 unsuitable for conversion in Dodges.

13. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

not to hyjack the thread, but do you have any track bars and mounts for a 60?

14. kenbarls

kenbarls Junior Member

Look on ebay. I think almost you needed are there. And their stuffs are great and nice. :D