1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Needed Ballest?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ManorD24, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ManorD24

ManorD24 Member

Any one have any suggestions as to how much ballest is really needed to keep the rear end from kicking out so easliy on a 04 Ram 2500. With my Chevy with the plow and dump insert i dont need any ballest and the truck pushes even the heavy wet snow with out any problems. But a coating of snow and the rear of the dodge can be every where. Trying to decide if i want to put a blade on it for winter of 08.

I know Westerns site gives their "requirements" but wanted to know what other guys do.

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I haven’t had a need for ballast in a few years. But for a friend’s truck we took a 4 inch piece of pipe and welded it onto a hitch. Got a bag of concrete filled one end with 4inces of concrete went to the tire shop picked up there old lead bucket for free filled it full of lead tire weights then concerted the other end shut. It weighed in at 400lbs. It is small enough to lay outside beside his shop and heavy enough that thieves can’t carry it away. To put it on he rolls his motor crane out lifts it up puts the pin in and he done.

3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I have run both ways this year....both with and without ballast...either way it pushes with no problem but with around 1000 pounds (most of a pallet of Icemelt) back at the tailgate it feels like it does not have to work near as hard on the wet'n'heavy, and with the 9'2" blade out front and a pallet in the back it rides like a damn caddy...or mabey I should say a 300-C:D

4. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Running a 96 Ram CTD club cab LB, got 650#'s between the wheel wells and tailgate. Pushes with no problem, you take it out and the rear tries to pass unless chained.

5. ManorD24

ManorD24 Member

What size blades are you guys running on them. I was thinking either a Western 8' pro or pro plus. 8.5 might be too big for my residentals. I wish i a 8' on my Chevy for the parking lots.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I have both Myers 7 ½ standard blade and 8 ½ commercial blades for my 1ton. Wet heavy snow I use the 7 ½ , for everything else I use the 8 ½ commercial blade. My truck almost needs ballast with the 8 ½ blade

My friends truck 8 ½ commercial with 400lbs of ballast on ½ ton truck.

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I made a box out of 2x10's to fit around the wheel wells, and used 10 bags of sand that are 60lbs a piece. I only used my 4 wheel drive twice in the last storm. This was my first year with ballast and will continue in the future.:drinkup: