1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your thoughts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IAFF 3445, Dec 19, 2009.

1. IAFF 3445

IAFF 3445 Junior Member

So first let me say Hi. I have been a member for a long time just never posted always reading tho. I have a 03 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel quad cab short bed that I am ready to put a plow on. So I went to the closest dealer today about 30 miles away set on buying a Meyer plow and found Hiniker today. So quest for input is this. I got three quotes today for three different plows and want to know which one you would prefer and the pro and cons of your thoughts. I am only doing small residential drives and no a lot of them either. They are all complete units installed.

Meyer-Lot Pro 7.5' steel straight blade for $5,117.13
    Hiniker 7.5' HD steel straight blade for $4646.25
    Hiniker 8' High performance Black poly poly for $5,117.13

I am already leaning towards one and I think you thoughts will confirm my thought on which one I should buy just on cost alone for the product that I would be getting. What do you guys think of the prices and I am considering installing it myself to save $500.00

Thanks

2. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

Let me start off by saying my own opinion on the meyer...2 words >boat anchor<. I don't have enough time to list all my dislikes on it, so i will give you my positive on it............... there are non.. As far as hinker goes i can't say from personal experiences i never pushed with one, i haven't heard alot of bad about them, like the meyer. My recommendation is go find a snowdogg dealer or a western. Here in PA, a 7'6" snowdogg ex75 is $3400 and a western 7'6" pro plus is $4200. My opinion the western is #1 in my book so far,we'll see how this snowdogg performs on the long term with me. This year i sold my old plow truck, and decided to install a new snowdogg 8' ex80 on my other truck which never plowed, i'm liking the snowdogg so far. The dogg has quality and a great price tag. If you're limited on plow dealers in your area or your preference would be meyer or hinker << go with the hinker!

3. IAFF 3445

IAFF 3445 Junior Member

I am limited on plow dealers and service for my area so yes it really does come down to those two. Any feed back is what I am looking for.

4. loudredram

loudredram Member

the biggest thing when choosing a plow are dealers......are they going to be there at 2am if need be.....we run western only becouse the dealer is close enough and when there is 2 inches on the ground they open up and stay open for the duation of the storm.....every plow has the weakness meyers arnt that bad

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Get one more quote. Have the dealer quote out a Hiniker C plow. If your doing mostly residentals then a C plow will be benificial for the back dragging. It will be more upfront money, but you will more than pay for the difference in a short period of time.

6. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I really can't compare them for you but I can tell you I have ran Hiniker products since 1994. The first plow I bought is still in service today. It is on one of my subs trucks. It has had a couple of solenoids put on and cylinders repacked but no major problems. My vote would be hiniker

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

My vote is for the Meyer, got a 7.5 with no problems and the dealers is 30 mi. away

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Skip on the meyer. To much money for problem plows.. Like rc2505 said have them price you a cplow.

If not get the black poly Hiniker.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

whatever you do, get ATLEAST an 8 footer for that truck, dont waist your time or money with a 7.5 footer.

10. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

dude i dont know how any dealer could make you think you want a 7.5 footer on your truck...i have a 99 f250 gas and i have an 8' boss. and I can push heavy wet northeast snow for 24 hours straight. I even think it could have a 9 foot on it without much of a problem if it wasn't for a lot of steep, windy and narrow driveways we have.

I think you should go to more dealers as well, those prices are ridiculous. What are those guys smoking other than each other's poles!?!?!? I'm getting a 9'2" Boss Power V XT installed on my new dump truck this week for 4950+tax. I bought my 8' steel Boss for 4 grand installed 2 years ago. I have never used Hinikers, but i hear they're good. I used Meyers for years and they are GARBAGE. I love BOSS plows though, and i've ran them for 5 years now and would swear them up and down. ( I also think they're the sleekest looking plows) I also used Curtis, which are very nice. I never used Fisher, but tons of people have them in the northeast and I've heard the Xblades are great.

If you plan on really growing your business, go with a 8'-9' V plow. And go to all the suppliers websites(BOSS, Hiniker, Fisher, Curtis, Western) and find out every damn dealer in a 300 mile area, and call them all. You'll get more plow than you expect, and once you start getting a lot of accounts, you will plow faster, which means more account per hour. If the money aspect bother you up front, dont worry, it will pay back in spades on the back end!!! good luck, sorry about the ramble, Im just lounging after a 18 hour plow session yesterday and don't want you to make a mistake you'd regret!!!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Ive got a meyer, and a hiniker... and it's not half the plow the Hini is...

It outperforms the meyer night and day.

Hiniker for sure. I would prefer the poly.

If you end up getting a 7 and a half...get wings and you'll be fine.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get an 8' blade or you will be wishing you would have

13. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I agree with the 8' plow, i've got a 7.5 meyer and i wish it was longer. As for the meyer, i haven't had any major problems with mine, but i wish it was heavier. Meyers are lightweight plows, and therefore suck at backdragging, which is huge when plowing residential driveways. Ive welded steel onto mine just for extra weight

14. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

how are you limited on plow dealers in your area?
    where are you located in illinois?
    you must be down south or something

you should look into getting a western or a boss
    and as far installation goes, you should have a professional do it unless you know what you are doing.