1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need your thoughts on work load

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alpha01, Sep 19, 2007.

1. alpha01

alpha01 Senior Member

Our company is in its second year of snow management service. We are bringing on the second truck for snow services. Our first year was 99% commercial contracts. We have no idea what residential workload consists of. We landed a new contract for a home chore program for a city. The contract consists of approx. 70 home driveways and walkways to front porch.
    The main question is: Will one truck/plow handle load and Can we add more residentials to that route?
    FYI: The accounts are in a Suburban city that is 36 sq. miles:dizzy: :eek:

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running 1 truck for 2 relatively easy commercials & 40 residentials. I'm stretched now, and I don't shovel until the end (there are about 5 places I will shovel walks). I don't see how you're gonna handle 70 driveways & walks unless they are clustered within a half mile and have a few shovelers running as fast as the truck. Good luck!

~Kevin

3. alpha01

alpha01 Senior Member

Thanks. These accounts are clustered in subdivisions and clusters of trailer park homes. I guess I should rethink adding on more residentials to that route.

4. alpha01

alpha01 Senior Member

any other thoughts?

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that sounds like a lot of plowing to do, maybe too much, especially the walks.

6. Chieftkp

Chieftkp Junior Member

I have 42 residentials in one town takes just over 5hrs to get through it once with no shoveling running one truck.

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

No. One truck will not handle 70 Resi's spread out like that. Not efficiently at any rate.

What can you do. Five an hour? 6 an hour? average?

Thats 6 hours to do 36 stops.

I would say you need to dedicate two trucks to 70 resi's.

Or I could see two trucks and one truck having a hand man to get done quicker to go help on the other resi's or commercials.

Unless you can let the folks wait 15 hours and you have a guy and a hand man that can do 70 accounts.....yikes.

Plus if you are getting involved in those types of accounts youd better have more eqiuipment than you'll need, because you will need it when something breaks or god knows what else.

So you have two trucks. What trucks are gonna go do the commercial accounts and I know you'll want to attack those first probably.

You are under equipped.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Residentials are a big headache. Real big. I would say no more than 30 accounts per truck. 70 for 1 truck is good for the first storm, than expect 40 people to call you and tell you not to come back

9. alpha01

alpha01 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I have 3 trucks. 2 with plows, 1 4x2 that can be used for shovelers. Our commercials are priority # 1 as they need attention during snowfall. The residentials will not be services till end of snowfall. Either way, I am now afraid we got in over our head. I guess I can't add on any more clients for this winter. THAT SUCKS!!!. Well i guess its the first time of my Lawn and Snow biz that WE'RE BOOKED. Feels good(for now)

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Brotha man, putting shovelers in a 4x2 vehicle is a very bad decision. How do you expect them to get around in a snow storm???? Whose going to keep pulling them out when they get stuck all the time. Thats an awful idea in my mind.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Why not put on a second truck? Sounds like you've got the accounts to support it. You can get a nice used truck with a plow for under $10k. One good month of snow and you've got it paid off. That's what I would do anyway...

Glad to hear you're so busy - Good luck!!

12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Great advice has already been said, I'm just seconding it.

Add another truck and crew. Have it for a back up if needed or add more accounts.

If it takes you less time with more trucks you can save on the labor rate.

If buying another truck is not in the future, contact a trusted sub to cover you when things go bad.

Congrats on being filled up. Good Luck

13. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

For what its worth, look for a sub/backup guy now....

also, get the shovelers in a 4x4 if possible

and last......sit in a chair, and imagine a 14" blizzard and how you're gonna handle it.

if your commercials are your priority, plan on losing at least half your residentials by the third storm....people aren't equipped with a lot of patience these days

In general.....

30 accounts per truck, add in shoveling support and have at least one backup guy who hasn't over-booked himself.
    Forget the 4 x 2 as a support vehicle unless you're using it to run for parts when the 4x4's break down. What about sand/salt?? Over 70 residentials is a lot of opportunity for slip and fall?????