1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your thoughts on residentail?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do a great deal of houses, apartments, side walks, drive thru's, front entrances for a number of business's that the city doesn't do all with a utility tractor, 3 shovel men, 2 snow blowers.

I also run a bobcat with snow bucket (looking at an 8ft pusher) and 5 3/4 ton trucks with boss plows.

Here is my new problem - a guy started doing snow in my area 2 yrs ago with a kubota tractor -- loader and blower on back - I use 2 utiltiy tractors with blowers on the front - boomers.

He alwasy calls and wonders should I go or not and I usually never anwser until mid morning and say yes - go we started at midnight. Anyway - friday during a 3 inch snow event he stops at my shop and says he's done. Ok, I keep greasing. He tells me he has the list and there now mine to do. OK, I quit greasing!

Anyway - I gained 60 accounts. Nice thing is they fit within our routes and 40 driveways are all condo units with either a shared driveway or single driveway and were knocking 6-8-10 out at every stop.

Now how many we keep I don't know after the people find out were doing it but I hope we ratain 90%.

Now there is another guy - local, close to town farmer that helps me once in a while with his NH boomer - loader and blower on back. Do I shoot him a deal of X per hour? And what is that amount??? OR do I get another tractor - don't really see use for it in the summer cuz I already have two. Also I have another ckid that loads sand/salt - I could pull that off and either use the bucket or purchase a blower for the skid? OR I have two 455D toro WAM mowers. They do make a cab, a blower that I can put on these machines. OR I have an exmark front runner that can have a soft cab installed and a blower on it.

What would you guys suggest??

Also why the front mount blowers on my tractors - they fit well down a sidewalk and they area used strictly for residential housing. IT works for us.

So I hope you have enough info to help make some sort of decision in what you would do.

Thanks and happy new year!
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hire a sub.....pay rates vary by area
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Could you not divide the 60 drives between your two tractors. Thats 30 each, and if you are already driving by, might add an hour to each route.
  4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

The two machines - tied up tight - way to tight for the number of accounts already being served. 1-2-4 inches are fine maybe but the other day I had 27 inches - way to much.
  5. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

send the work to the farmer who's been helping you. make a few bucks per drive, and give him the rest. no out of pocket expense. still a little profit. and if it's like most farmers i know. could use the $$ to help run the farm