1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your opions! about new lighting product!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by frostyballz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been building / manufacturing a back-up / utlity light for myself and some local friends. It is a completely mobil unit consiting of a single or dual magnetic flood light set-up with 6' or 12' cords so the lights can be mounted on back of truck or up high on cab! I have made this to adapt to existing connections on trucks so there is no wiring to be done. The best part is you can put this in back-up mode so light turn on when vehicle is in reverse only or flip a switch and the lights stay on.... Again this can be put on truck and then completely removed in about a minute, no wiring to be done.....has 1 or 2 55w flood lights and is dual function.
    My real question....I am trying to find out if this is something people in the industry would want for there fleets, and would people be willing to pay $59 plus shipping for a commercial grade back-up utltity light that can be used on most trucks without having to wire or perminatly mount. I am truly seeking opinions and questions to find out if this would be worth manufacturing and selling! I have searched for top quality parts and truly feel that I have come up with a top notch item that truly provides a commercial quality product. I would love to hear from everyone.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

opps

opinions......not opions......sorry fat fingers!:dizzy::dizzy:

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Picture of it would be a good start

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Some guys already made one. They hook into your 7 pin in the back with a relay connected to 2 55 watt lgiht and when you put the truck in reverse it they turn on. I have a set on my salt spreader. I had dissocivative build me the harness and I bought the lights. It works perfect and I can disconnect it in one second when I take the spreade off. Good idea, but they are selling that exact same thing on ebay, but they hook into your hitch. I mean you could make the harness bigger and have them in the rail slots at the back of the truck. Sorry to tell you but your are little late.ussmileyflag

5. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Sounds like a similar Item...I have not seen any online! anyway I will post some pictures soon, Im not sure of what they are using or how well they work. I have seen much smaller items that are not built to withstand commercial use. I also added the utility light feature so the item works in reverse or you can flip a switch and constantly have them on! The flood light is large enough that I only use 1 on my personal vehicle and that is plenty of light also the wiring is a heavy duty cord set-up....The problem I found with similar items is that they are "chincy" and do not stand up to the rigors of real work, I have had the units that attach direclty to the 7-wire but they are a fixed unit that is below the bumper and tend to get smashed and are not very bright. I wanted to provide the first "commercial grade" 7-wire lighting accessory.

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I mean once you make the harness like I have you can put the lights anywhere. I put mine on the salter and they are permanent. But that is what I wanted. I know how to make the harness with the relay now and I am going to outfit every truck with them. You cant switch them on anytime like yours but I just ran a toggle to the back for one more light to turn on whenever I needed the extra illumination. Put up some pics and do searches on here for back up lights and you will come up with pictures of other that people have built that use the 7 pin.I think there are 2 in the equipment forum right now at the top and there is a big one in the strobe lighting forum also.

7. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

I agree ... have any pics frosty?

8. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Thanks for the replies so far.....I will post a picture later this week....Yes I see that there are others out there and they are very nice....but so far everything I have seen is $200.00 + and mounted in the hitch which is why I came-up with a different set-up I have owned 3 different types and have managed to smash them all! LOL I wanted to have a completely removable light assembly that can be placed virtually anyplace (out-of-the-way) of any snow banks. I also wanted something that would be multifunctional as far as a reverse flood light and a utility light. I will post some pictures and would love to see what you think....as far as price I am able to make and sell for approx. $59.00 for a single light and $79.00 for dual lights....I think that is fairly low for a commercial grade flood light assembly what do you think?

9. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

It's all relative. We can't make any decisions until we see what your product is going to look like. I am interested in this as an option because I'm not sold on the lights that mount in your receiver. I'd like some mounting options. Please post up some pics for us

10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

pics pics pics i've got my eye on a hitch mount but your pricing sounds better, plus i'd like the light to be up high.. where does it plug into?

11. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

I will have pictures very soon....I am waiting on one part to show a finished light! I have sold all the others I had to local people! It is a simple set-up, magnetic mount lights or light, with heavy duty 6' or 12' cords from a 7-wire plug that is built with a switch for always on or reverse on functions. I PROMISE TO POST PICTURES VERY SOON! and maybe a video to show how it works..... The main reason I made this is to mount the lights on top of tail gate or even the roof of vehicle or salt spreader so I dont smash it and I get better lighting behind vehicle especially in deep snow! and then to be able to remove it for the summer.

12. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

Reverse Light assembly

OK here is some pictures of a single light assembly......I use a 7-wire trailor plug with a weather / H20 resistant switch. the cord is a heavy duty UV, oil, weather resistant wire that can stand up to winter and salt! the light or lights are 3X5" rectangles utlity flood lights with 55W bulbs. Currently the light attaches with 50Lb magnet but will be upgrading to 80lb.
    OK here's the deal....I made this to be completly removed after winter or after each storm.....I make them with 6' or 12' cords and the plug just plugs into a standard 7-wire trailor recepticle. The switch can be set to operate light in reverse only, off or always on.
    I made these to be simple and functional....They can be placed above the bumper as shown so they will not be smashed. they can be placed and removed so the tailgate is still usable and their is no perminant wiring.
    I have been selling the single light 6' which is perfect for most trucks for $59.00 the dual lights are good for larger vehicles and the standard 6' $80.00 I would have to charge a little extra for the 12' cords and can custom make longer or I have been playing around with a 7-wire with light and switch to a 4-flat so you can still plug in a standard trailor while using this set-up.

2-19-09 005.jpg

2-19-09 006.jpg

2-19-09 010.jpg

2-19-09 008.jpg

13. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I like it...I would mount one on my backrack. High enough to light everything up, and safe from the snowbanks..I would def need the 12' cord. I have a lond bed.
    My one concern is how long is that switch going to last in the salt.. Being able to switch it to reverse or always on from the cab would be great..but then you may as well mount some perm lights.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  14. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

I ordered marine grade switches.....not the same as the one in the picture! They are designed to withstand salt and H20 so they should be fairly tough....they were the best I could find for this application.

15. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

If anyone is intrested in getting one of these light assemblies please click on my screen name and send me an email....I will ship product for free if you are a member of plowsite. I would like to hear what you think of the product especially if you own one.

Thanks

16. ArcticViking

ArcticViking Junior Member
    from Vermont

Could you post an e-mail address, and/or a phone #

Thanks

17. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

sure....you can contact me through this site by clicking on my user name and send a message. Or I can be emailed at kjbjrich@comcast.net, just let me know that you saw this on this site....
    Thanks everyone and please post your opinions, I like to know what you think about the product or any improvement I can make!

18. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

19. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Do you have a pic of the two light setup? How much distance between the lights? Or, are the two lights mounted together?

20. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

both lights on the dual are separate to be mounted as you please...they have 6' or 12' cords to each light from the plug. I can make longer cords by request....