1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your opinions on plow length

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jan 6, 2004.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ok Guys,(and gals) here's my situation. My truck, 1996 F250 ext. cab long bed Power stroke diesel. My plow 7.5' snoway. My plowing activity: I don't plow hard but do a few driveways. Didn't get much business this year as I am traveling around a bit this winter and decided I was not going to be reliable enough. Anyway, I'm happy with my plow, but I'd like to get a wider blade for going around corners and not dragging my rear wheel in the snow. also, it wound pick up the pace of pushing snow, and I don't feel that my truck will get man handled by a larger blade. Ok, called a bunch of dealers; the new plow blades will not bolt up to the old aframe that I have. Snoway does not make the 25 series plow that I have anymore. So called around to dealers and found a 9' steel blade that this guy had. Brand new been sitting outside for a few years. My question is: is this thing going to be too big for me? I was thinking about going to a 8' or even a 8.5' but not 9'. I know this is not the best thing for doing residential driveways, but I could do smaller parking lots with a longer blade, and it would be easier on my 5spd. Also, does anyone know the weight difference between the steel and lexan inserts. I'd like to stay within my front axle GAWR as I am now, but I'm not sure how much a 9' snoway blade weighs. thanks very much for your input guys. Something tells me that I'll be plenty happy with a longer blade, but the 9' blade could be too long for my truck. Thanks, Nick.

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'd try to stay at 8'

3. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I ran an 8.6 on all my driveways and could always manage but definetly a nine footer would be pushing it!

4. oldmankent

I know, 9' is just a bit too big, but I'm still really interested. The 7.5' just seems to get smaller and smaller everytime i use it.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

8' for residential. I have a 9' on my big truck, and it's slower just from being more cautious. :cool:

6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus Junior Member
    from ohio

How about a set of pro wings????

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Get the best of both worlds. Get a Blizzard 810.

Lead. Don't follow.

8. oldmankent

I thought about the pro wings, but I'm not that familiar with them. the cons seem to be that I'd have to fab up a mount on my plow since I have a lexan moldboard, and that is time consuming, since I dont weld (yet). Also, I don't believe the pro wings scrape very well. I've never seen them in action so I don't really know. I'd like to have a longer blade to actually push snow and scrape it out of the way. Can anyone tell me how pro wings clear the ground? I know they keep snow from spilling out of the plow, but I don't really do a lot of stacking, which seems to be what they are mainly for.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I'll second that scottish!!! You can pickup Pro-Wings for under $200 and turn your 7.5 ft. into a 9 ft. plow. Alot cheaper than a whole new plow. If you need to go back to 7.5 ft. width the Pro-Wings take about 2 minutes to remove.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  10. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Pic. of Pro-Wings

Attached Files:

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

8FT 8.5 pushing it

12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have an 8 foot plow and an 8 1/2 . I have no problem with the bigger blade. I plow a large apartment complex (10 parking lots), 1 self storage place, 2 gas stations, a restaurant and 37 drive ways by my last count. I can get the 8.5 any place I want it. I think that it is a little better on the turns. My next will be an 8 1/2, unless I go with the blizzard 810.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah but ur not using an extra cab 8ft box

14. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Good Point. I guess the turning radis is not as good as my reg. cab, long bed dodge trucks.

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i would go with the 9ft blade. nothing wrong with it, a little big. 8ft is the best size for the truck but you should take what you can get:)

16. oldmankent

Yeah, if this thing actually fits, I think I might go for it. 9' is a bit big, but I should still be able to get in and out of my accounts.

17. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

Oldman- I just went from a c-8 to a blizzard 810- I love it - although out wide you need more room to turn around. My dad runs a 9' on his regular cab and is very happy with it. We finally got to plow this past weekend- mostly residential.

18. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I AGREE WITH BOLTS. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

GET WIDE & GET BLIZZARD:gunsfiring:

19. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

oldmankent

One other factor to consider on the 9' blade is the legal highway width. If that is 8'6" as most places you will have to drive with the blade angled at all times. This is not a big problem except on rough roads and you get some bounce your inner corner will hit the road. This is why the Blizzard 810 exists. The rule of thumb that I use in determining weight is add 30 to 50 pounds for each 6" of blade added. Go to your factory internet location and you can look up the weight. Hope this helps. I plow my drives with the Blizzard 810 ( 950 lbs. ) in the 10' position and it is on a one ton crew cab dually.

20. oldmankent

Bolts, my truck has a front GAWR of 4600 lbs. The reason I have a snoway is because it is light and I don't exceed my GAWR. I like my snoway and it is working fine. I don't do nearly enough plowing to justify purchasing a Blizzard plow. I'm just looking for a longer blade for my snoway. Yeah, I've thought about the width. Believe it is 8.5' around here, and I realize that I'd have to angle it. Not too worried about the plow hitting on bumpy roads, snoways lift up very high due to the direct linkage connection. Nick.