1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your opinion-- Just looking to be fair

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Dec 11, 2007.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Situation is-- I have been approached by another friend / business owner in the area to take over some of his accounts while he is away. I would be working in conjunction with his other employees to clear his route in a timely fashion. He has two trucks, one the employees will use, the other i will use.

I on the other hand also have a business that i clear out residentials driveways (about 50) usually with shovels or snowblowers. Our past snow of 2 inches took about 10 hours for two guys.

I am allowed to use his truck to do my own stuff if it will work out. I believe it will help considerably for anything over 3 inches or so.

We figure his route would take a max of about 8 hours on a smaller snowfall, and this depends on how much the other truck can handle beyond its normal route.

What is your guys opinion on how much i should be compensated to take over some of his stuff and delay my customers to clear out his lots. At the same time though am allowed to use his equipment on my driveways that are mostly all together?

I dont know if it is best to look at an hourly rate (but then i am penalizing myself for quickness) or as percentage of gross income of what i do. However i am then not sure on how things are bid, and if they are bid correctly.

Any help would be apprecieated-- If you have more questions please ask.
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Is this a one time deal, like for a week? or is it longer, like for a month+? If its for a week or 2, then probally get paid hourly from him, if its a month or more, then %.

I would want to approach it as 2 seperate pricing things, then bill each other.

Say you plow 8 hours for him, and get paid $25 an hour in his truck, with him paying fuel. Thats $200 he owes you.

Now say you use his truck(much better then shoveling IMO) for 8 hours doing your route. His truck has to be worth well over $25 figure it that way in this example. Your paying your fuel in truck while doing your accounts. So you own him $200 for truck rental.

In this example, its a wash, you each pay each other $200 for the service provided (plowing vs truck rental), or essentially $0.

Now you just need to use real numbers in the same equation and you should come out with something fair.

I am thinking you will see your 50 accounts get done allot quicker then before, and you may not need the helper anymore, so your time and money ahead.
  3. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks Image for your response

This will be for two months.

I also look at it as i am taking how ever many hours plowing away from doing my own drives, and i can certaintly make more per hour doing drives as compared to sitting in the truck. And then by the time i finish plowing, i am already somewhat tired and then have to clear 50 drives. I understand that i am not going to make per hour in his truck as compared to doing drives.... i guess that is what makes it so difficult.

Originally we talked about clearing about 10-12 properties and i would make 400-500 dollars. But as we went over them, we soon realized that would take too much time away from my own stuff, so we possibly scalled back to 4-5 hours of plowing-- maybe 6 properties in that time frame. And of course this all depends on the amount of snow.

Hope this helps
  4. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Does anyone else have an opinion on this.

I appreciate any advice.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

well i have a buddy who takes trips to FL to fish in the winter every now and again, and he usually askes if i will cover 10-15 of his driveways, he has another guy who does the rest, i get the full amount they pay him per driveway per storm but im using my truck, if i was to say use his truck, which i wouldent but hypothetically speaking i would want atleast half of what he gets to plow them. but thats just me.
  6. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Gold Pro..

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about a percentage, but just wasnt sure how much. I guess the thing i am considering is that i really dont need the work, i am just doing this as a favor, and at the same time pushing my own customers back. So i want compensated accordingly. However i then have the ability to use his equipment to do my own stuff. Ultimately i am going to be putting in more hours and alot more stress.

What might be your take on it now.
    Still a 50/50??
    Thanks for your help.
  7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Can you tell us why a snow plowing business man is taking 2 months off during peak season?

What happens if you loose some of your accounts over this?
    What are you using now to clear your accounts?
    Why doesn't he put one of his guys in the other truck?

With the possibility of loosing my income and spending more time working, I would want to do mine first, with his equipment at no charge to me. Then I would want either an hourly rate that makes it worth my while or a large percentage of the actuall cost. I would not go out and work longer at a reduced rate to what I'm use to.

Good Luck
  8. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I did it for my nieghboor went away for ten days the first year I plowed. I did his whole route twice and I took 80% and he kept 20% cause he had to do the billing and such. I though it was fair. I was 16 at the time and made 2k in a week cant beat that..
  9. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

is this plow truck going to be sitting idle if you're not driving it? do the two routes overlap at all? . personally i would start on my own route first , then hop on with his crew to help them finish , catching any of his accounts if they are right by yours.
    using his truck will get you through your route quicker = getting to his accounts sooner

hopefully no customers that are used to seeing you use a snowblower freak out if they see a plowtruck on their driveway
  10. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks for the replies guys...

I would use a snowblower or shovels in most instances to clear the drives. I have even used a fourwheeler to do some.
    However in a few instances i have used a truck and plow, and have not had anyone complain about it.

He is going away for the armed forces so that is why he has to leave.
    He does not have the trust in his other guy to plow, so he would rather leave him on with the other guy to do the sidewalks at these jobs.
    I think if we run two trucks side by side we can knock out a decent part of his route in 4-5 hours and then i can break free and clear my own out. And alot of my accounts are right around his own, but working them in together, i dont know if that is the right thing to do.

And unless the snow really pies on, i wont do the residentials but only once, while the commercial will need to be done every 2". So that will leave a gap in time, and of course places will close for the evening so we will have some time.

I think either way, i am not going to make the hourly wage i could cleaning drives by myself, but in a larger snowfall, the truck will be of great assistance.

Thanks Guys

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

honestly i would do you're drives first remember YOUR helping him, hes not helping you in this instance no reason to make all of your customers mad at you because you are late and dont get around to em in a timely fasion, hows that help you out in the long run?? he keeps all of his accounts you end up losing some of yours because you took too long to do em.

So with that said i would just add em into your route and mix em all together doing whatevrs closet to where you are. thats how i do em when i plow my buddys drives, if they are in the area i do ill bang em out.