1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need your knowledge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJ Contracting, Jan 19, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

My plow wont turn to the left (7.6 Western Cable activated) I can hear the motor running. This happened the night it was snowing. I heated up the couplers and hoses and it seemed to move slowly, anyway I some times have a problem raising the blade up (like theres no contact). I have to leave right now for a Volleyball game I check with you guys later. Thanks

2. DJ Contracting

Just got back from my volleyball game and read Property Mgr post and will try the cable adjustment mine is acting the same way.

3. DJ Contracting

OK I'm the only one here

Well I want to say thanks for letting me think this one out and I'll tell you what I found

1.I found that there was ice where the cable hooks up
    for the left and right movement.
    2.There was also ice in the up & down area.

The solution
    1.Went to the local parts store and bought
    gasket material and installed w/silicon.
    2.Adjusted cable for left and right,
    now it moves within the four second time both ways.

Now I didn't know if I should fill up the cavities w/grease for fear of the grease getting cold and interfering with the operation of the cable. anyway I attached some pictures of the area that I was working on for any future references.

Cable Plow 004.jpg

Cable Plow 005.jpg

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your pics it look's like you've got enough grease in the cable cavities. Should keep it working for a long time.

5. DJ Contracting

Yeah thats what I thought, I'll know after the next snowfall hopefully we get some Sunday evening.

6. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Had the same problem with my old Western cable plow. You hit the typical solution.

Also, use low temp hyd fluid if temps can go below 10F. Check for air infiltration, the pump can cavitate, especially with QuikConnects that have worn O rings.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  7. DJ Contracting

Well I tried Meyer fluid one year and it seemed worse so now I'm using dextron lll.