1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need you opinions on which advertisement to use??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Outd00r Maint.., Nov 17, 2009.

1. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

hey guys

well we decided to promote our business for the winter
    but me and my buddy each haves or own opinions which one to invest in

so here's are the 2 options

first is a 70 page pamphlet? Now..im meeting this guy on Thursday for a price to put in a add
    This pamphlet is distributed in 100,000 homes in my region Cost:???? but my friend figures at least 1,500$ for a half page

here's an ex of the pamphlet :[​IMG]
    BTW this is not our company this is just a example to show you

second option is a door hanger we plan on making 3,000 of them for 750$ and will distribute them our selfs

need your opinions
    Which one would u take and why?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is that phone number in English?

Try it. Cost is not that much. When your ready to make the deal beat around the bush a little and tell him you might do it but you want a little better price on the ad ,beat him down on the price if you can. Or get them to put in more areas for no extra cost.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I say go for the door hangers. Deliver them on the weekend. Knock on the doors, quote and close them on the spot. By delivering the hangers yourself, you are already in their face, and will save you a trip at a later date.
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

way the cost versus the benefit...is the business just you and your buddy, if so how many lots are you looking to add? if you only want a dozen more lots at lets say $150 each, 1,800 in profit but you're gonna piss away $1,500 in advertising...so i guess it would depend on what you're trying to gain
  5. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

70 pages? Seems like a lot for people to thumb through to find you, and how many other competitors will they pass before they get to your ad? Distributed to 100,000 people? Are they all in your service area, or target area? Or will they be distributed to a wasted audience? The door hangers will get you more "face-time" with potential customers, but will also get you more doors slammed in your face lol. I personally would prefer to go door-to-door and meet the people face to face on a weekend day passing out door hangers. That gives you the oportunity to sell yourself and leave them with no doubt which company is the right one to chose. Seems like a lot of pros and cons to weigh out, but either way get your name out there for people to see. Good Luck.
  6. Outd00r Maint..

we will need at least 30 more residential s @ lets say around 350$ cad

right now we have about a 4hr route with 2 commercial lots and 8 residential s

put yea i see your point
  7. Outd00r Maint..

yea the more and more i see you opinions the more i think door hangers could be the best option
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, this is advertising, but what is your marketing campaign?

advertising is about hitting people again and again and again.
    It takes something like 20 times for people to see something for them to act on it.

The one time things are pretty worthless in my experience (and I believe a marketing pro would tell you the same thing)

For example. In a local town.
    newspaper service directory
    yellow pages
    web site (snow plowing, small town, usa)
    door flyers
    thrifty nickel style "free" paper
    direct mail
    postcards to existing customers

That hits people all the time
    They see your name all the time
    They begin to associate your name with snow plowing and every time they think snow they see your logo/ad.

That's marketing
    You could do all that for less than $1500 for your one off ad in the fancy flier that 90% of the people throw in the trash without even looking at.

BTW, work with one printshop for all your needs and your costs will come way down. the artwork is done only once then modded a little each time, plus you come in all the time you get a deal. (and printing is all about volume).

What is your marketing plan?
    What is your marketing budget?

now, how do you get there.

Those are the questions you need to answer first.
  9. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

I have never looked at one.

Only way I would do it is if I could be exclusively the only yard/snow guy in there.
  10. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Do postcards or door hangers i get NICE postcards we drop off 5000 for $150 i close a whole neighbor hood in a day gain a ton of accounts that way. My buddys email is jason@bluevistaprinting.com he will hook you up