1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need you opinion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nateslawncare, Sep 28, 2011.

1. nateslawncare

nateslawncare Junior Member
    from Maine

Need your opinion

Hey guy, I've been over to lawnsite for quite a while now, but I'm finally getting over to this side. I've been in the plowing industry for a couple years now, working for someone else. This year I've had the opportunity to take over 20 or so accounts from the guy I was working for previously (he's down grading). Anyway, I have a 2004 chevy silverado 1500 with the Z71 offroad package. What are your opinions on putting a plow on it? Or should I buy a use truck already outfitted? What do you think would be the most realistic option?
    Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Nate

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

What size accounts? Residential, Large Commercial , Small Commercial?

3. nateslawncare

nateslawncare Junior Member
    from Maine

Mostly high end residential accounts. However, I am looking into picking up a few small commercial accounts.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

If you feel comfortable with plowing with it, go ahead and look into the light duty plows that just about every manufacturer has out there for 1/2 ton trucks. Put some Timbrens up front and you should be good to go. Now if your looking at getting into commercial and are required to salt then you might look into a bigger truck if a tailgate spreader is required. In the end it is your call. I would not be afraid to put a plow on your truck. Just be smart with it, know your trucks limits and expand as required. Good luck, twenty accounts sounds like a good way to grow,

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My opinion is that based on the type of accounts you mentioned you can get away with that truck and a plow that is just wider than the width of the tires, maybe 7'6"? You don't want a plow that is not wider than the truck, otherwise, you are trying to plow snow that you have driven over, and that's a pain. If you are going to get into commercial and probably salting those, I would suggest stepping up to a 3/4 ton and a bigger plow, say 8' with wings or a 9'2".

6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

You should be alright. Just take good care of the truck. Keep the trans. and drive train serviced, and try not to run it into the ground, or there goes your profit. Heavy snows will be harder on it. Weight down the box. Put a good rotater on the roof to help keep you safe.
    You may want to consider a second battery and mabey a trans. cooler. Good luck to you...Have a great season!:drinkup: