1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Wiring Info Joystick Controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by toomanytoyz, Jan 3, 2008.

1. toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz Junior Member

Traded into an older Western Snowplow set up with a Joystick Control that Just has 1 Small Black Electrical Line & The 2 Cables coming out of it. I Have Tried several Time's to Get into Western Website to See a Wiring Diagram & Everytime i Try it Lock's up my Computer :realmad:...................

Can someone Tell me what i Need to do to wire this up????????????

Thanks, Rick

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here ya go...

New Picture (1).jpg

3. toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz Junior Member

Thanks................

Thank You for the Fast Reply, That is exactly what i needed to Know...................

Rick

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:salute: Happy to help Rick... gotta keep those old Western's alive some how :D.

5. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

I have a question,
    I am also new to westerns and this site. I have the same setup. Do i supply 12v to the little black wire? I am not very good at reading schematics. Also the plow i bought did not come with a solonoid, will a Ford starter solonoid work? or is the western one special?
    Thanks
    Matt

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The black wire on the control joystick is the ground wire that runs out to the under hood solenoid to trip the solenoid when you move the joy stick to raise or angle the plow. So the solenoid is activated by triggering the ground side (not tripped by 12V). The power side has 12V all the time through a jumper wire from the large post connecting the battery to the solenoid. (dotted line in the diagram).

A Ford style starter solenoid won't work for these ground to activate old style controllers. You want to use a dedicated Western, Fisher, Boss style solenoid.

7. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

Thank you, I didnt know they were ground activated. I called my local Western dealer $12.74 for a solonoid, i will pick one up in the morning.
    Thanks
    Matt

8. Valkman15

Valkman15 Junior Member

Solenoid for the Western Cable plows

Yes, the 56131K. The heavy duty original style 4 post. Advance Auto parts carries an aftermarket brand. After searching all over and several parts stores that gave me several ideas, and two wrong solenoids (electrical parts are not returnable....) I found a post that said Advance had them. It's in their SAM (Snowplow Aftermarket Line) They had a 3 post to fit Meyer (also found at Tractor Supply), and were out of the 4 post I needed. He kindly broke open the kit of Western repair parts that sells for 69.99 and found one in there. Sold it to me for the 10.79 shelf price, and ordered a new one for the kit. It's part number 1306300, I think. last 4 are 6300, and it is the original style. Much heavier duty than an automotive.

9. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

I used a relay to replace my solenoid mostly because I had it when the old one failed. It's a four wire unit rated for 40 amp continous and 400 surge. I got it from the parts store for a never finished project but I think it was whole lot more expensive than one made for the application.
    Since I'm into overkill I added a ground wire inside my cable type control. Western uses the control cables for the ground to activate the solenoid and I didn't like the idea of relying on their connection to the pump way out in front of the truck in the weather. Ogre.