1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need wiring help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by XyellowX, Dec 28, 2011.

1. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

i have a 05 1500 that im adding dual batteries with an isolator and a hiniker plow to. can i tap the power sources for both of them from the trailer brake port under the dash? if so, should i fuse both leads or is the circuit already fused?
    thanks, rob

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will get better plow performance if you wire the batteries directly in parallel with #2 or heavier cables. That way both batteries will share the load providing better voltage. Both batteries need to be the same group size, brand, model, and age.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

yes,,,hook both batts together, no need to isolate them. whats the issue with the trail bk control???

4. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

they both are yellow tops but one is two years old. they will be wired parrallel but the isolator will be on the pos wire between the bats. wires are 0 gauge and the isolator is a 500 amp unit

5. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

can i tap into the power source for the brake control for both the isolator and plow controller. i know lots of people here dont like isolators, but i do. i just want to know if both acccessories are abe to work properly if tapped into that power source together or if i should use two seperate power sources.

6. dieselss

What's the point of the isolator? And if your going to run duals, your not going to get the amps you need. Well i dont know about the ISO pwr but the plow control should be ign only hot.

7. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

the point is when the truck is on i get the perks of having the extra power and when i turn it off i dont need to worry about the batteries drainnin each other due to the age differance. the relay has a 500 amp capacity so i dont see how i will be limitting my power compaired to most others on the site only run a 200 amp unit

8. dieselss

But your only running off 1 battery. Isolator only let's u run 1 Batt at a time not both.

9. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

10. dieselss

Well lets say that u put the old Batt on the starting side, if the Batt is bad, its not gunna matter with the isol. Cause it won't turn it on. If the old Batt is on plow side, and it goes bad. Your going to be running off the other one till the alt charges the bad one. In my electrical doings, I have never seen, found, or ever got a definative answer as to how long those type relays will last. The solid state have ne moving parts or 'hold in' coils to go bad.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That relay will work fine. But you want a switched ignition feed to trigger it. I would expect the brake controller is always hot. Get a Buss brand fuse tap and pick up Key On power the proper way.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The confusion comes from the fact that there's a big difference between a relay/solenoid and an actual battery isolator- and the one you're showing isn't an isolator even though it's described as such as it doesn't regulate battery or alternator power because it's just an on/off relay which is perfectly fine. It's an isolator that you do not want.

And no, since you want to separate the battery's with the ignition off you do not want it's trigger wire on the brake controller feed, it's hot at all times. Instead do as the Dog Napper recommended and use a keyed ignition source with a good fuse tap (Add-a-Circuit) but be sure to use a circuit that is hot in both the run and crank positions otherwise you'll only be starting on one battery. Guys often overlook that little detail.

Sad part is you could have bought a genuine USA made Trombetta solenoid for less money that puts those China made units to shame.

13. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Go to the top of the forum.The first thing you will see is a sticky on how to install dual batteries on a chevy.

14. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

b&b, which relay would you use?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trombetta Bear Contactor series, p/n 114-1211-020.

16. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

also, where can i find a power crank and run circuit? btw i got the other relay. thanks

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the underhood panel fuses "SEO IGN" or "TBC IGN" with a test light. One should be hot in both run and crank and the beauty is there's no need to even run a wire though the firewall. Be sure to use an Add-a-Circuit when tying into either of these fuses.