1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Western recommendation

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by traumabill, Oct 12, 2012.

1. traumabill

traumabill Junior Member

Hello.

I need some help with a plow recommendation. I'm coming from an 8 foot Diamond trip edge on an 2000 F-250 with v10. Truck was totaled due to fire while being repaired. My new to me replacement truck is a 2001 Chevy 2500 (non hd). Sticking with same dealer - who no longer does Meyer/Diamond and does Western only now. Dealer has recommended an 8.0 Pro plow due to "medium duty" front end. I know I'll have to lift the torsion bars as the front end sits low and I'll put 265's on to help also. Question is two fold - Can I run an 8.5 Pro and what do I lose by not being able to use a ProPlus? I sub commercial with small to medium size lots, including a lot of banks with drive throughs. Nothing bigger than 300 parking spaces. Very little residential, other than my 450 foot driveway.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

when I punch that in I get up to 8-1/2' pro being recommended, even with the 4410 fgawr. if you have 4500 there are even more recommended blades. which fgawr do you have?

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Go on Westerns website look at the videos about the pro and pro plus the pro plus is taller but that's all . you should be fine with an 8ft the extra 1/2 foot to me doesn't make a difference

4. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

You definitely need to see what your truck will handle and/or how much abuse you want to hand it. The Pro+ does have the ability to add Western's wings, approx $600 additional. They generally have a higher resale value, too. The taller moldboard may come in handy. On the purchase end you will probably have less that a $300 difference between the Pro and Pro+. Western should have an efficiency calculater on their website to show the time savings between 8 and 8.5 ft. Remember, the pro series blade was Western's bread and butter for thirty years. If all your truck will take is a 8 ft pro,l wouldn't feel cheated. They have moved alot of snow and you might save some wear and tears!