1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

** ** Need total snowfall accumulation for Taylor, MI

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by silvetouch, Jan 3, 2008.

1. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I have a customer that i take care of 2 properties for. My contract states that we will plow at an inch or more. He crossed out and initialed saying that he only wanted us there if there was 2 inches or more. No salt also.
    He called me today asking why i didn't come out on this snowfall. I told him we didn't have 2 inches there. he says well metro airport says we got 4. I live 6 miles south of taylor and i only got a light dusting on the ground and i have customers in oakland county that got 7 -10 inches. So anyway, this guy is saying he wants to cancel on me. it's a decent size place between the 2 so i'm kinda getten screwed.
    i told him i will be more than happy to continure doing at 1 inch or more if we change it in writing. he said no deal and he will have somebody else do it. I told him to give me a my 30 days notice and i will sent him the final bill with his early termination fee as it states in his contract. But my only problem is i neeed to find something that actually states what the total accumulation is for Taylor. I looked on national weather service and metro airport does say 4 ", but wyandotte says 1.7 and monroe says only a trace, so i know i'm right here, i just need something on paper.
    someone please help... thanks
  2. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Strange storm wasn't it??? Weird but he might be right. I live in Clay Twp. and got about a inch,but a friend who lives about 5-6 miles away got 7inches! Had to go over to beleive. And the guy that I am working with this winter is about 25-30 minutes got 14 inches!!! Have you tried Weather Bug or Weather Underground I think one of those have snow fall totals. Hope this helps.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can't really help with what you asked for, but my advice is let it go and be thankful to get rid of a PITA that easily. You keep it, it'll be nothing but grief; next time it's likely that you'll plow and he'll claim you shouldn't have, etc, etc. If you get your "early termination fee" consider it a bonus - would you really take him to court to collect it?
  4. Keith_480231

I would. Mick you of all people know how much goes into preparing for the season and such. Not just plowing and all fun right?
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yer move on customers are important but dont let him rule the show
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So he's complaining that you saved him money?
  7. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I'll check out the sites to see if they show totals.
    And yes, i guess he is complaining about saving money. i talked to a few other of my customers on the same road and they were happy they didn't get done.
    And yes i would take him to court over a termination fee. i've turned down other customers just because i didn't want to overbook myself to make sure everyone is taken care of. So now i would be out that money everytime it snows for the next 3 months. I've only pressed the issue of an early termination once my whole time in business and he can be # 2. I try and be fair with everyone, but i don't like people that try and screw me.
    i did go by there today and take pictures of some areas where no traffic has gone with a ruler and theres maybe a 1/2". it was like 20 degrees out today so i doubt an 1 1/2" melted.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

This is the most accurate source for weather totals. I would myself drop this looser like a hot potato. Since he was trying to save some coin by adding the inch making the 2" trigger. Make up my mind, 1", 2" or 4" triggers are more less a disagreement waiting to happen. To me the best clients are the ZERO tollerance ones. Normally they are happy to see the asphalt at no matter the cost. This will save them money in the long run, for every hour of slippery conditions the chances of a slip and fall increase.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, I know how much it takes to get ready for the season and potential loss from losing a customer - I lost one this winter. But, I have to figure the aggravation factor as well as real cost in time and money. That's why I asked the question. For example, I didn't really mind losing that customer - I wrote about him in a thread about what you got for Christmas. For me - rid of a PITA customer. If I'd had a termination fee, I'd have to consider whether to pursue it. For me, the court is 30 miles away. It'd take time, gas money etc to go to small claims court. Maybe I'd win and maybe not. If I did, that doesn't mean I get my money - only that I could pursue collection. More aggravation and perhaps putting a lien on property. Still no guarantee of getting it until he tries to sell it. I could have avoided all that by walking away way back when.
  10. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

Check out this link this is the site that I use and includ with my bills
  11. Keith_480231

That was the page I was thinking of. Good luck with whatever your decision is going to be. I know that people arond here are getting cheaper by the minute. Economy is declining by the day. Not calling for any kind of rebound till '09.:eek: Everyone else has there points but probably wouldn't loose to much sleep over it. Your satisfaction will come when he ends up with no one and gets sued or something because of something stupid.