1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to stiffen up front end with new plow .

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brenster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. brenster

brenster Junior Member

I drive a GMC K3500 (2000) I had a low profile 7.5 meyer plow on it ...was on the truck when I got it 5 years ago ... I just recently got a new Meyer Lot Pro plow 7.5 ft .. and the truck is bouncing all over the place with the seeming extra weight or whatever with the plow change ... I was considering a possible lift in the front ...with suspension lift and maybe get some bigger tires under it .. but .. I first want to address the bouncing in the front ...any tips ?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bouncing? Shocks......
  3. brenster

brenster Junior Member

Thanks .... if I knew it was that easy ... I'd have thought of that myself. thanks for quick reply ... I saw an adjustable stiffness type of shock my buddy was thinking about putting on the rear of his Commander for pulling trailer ... would something like that work for the front for plow use ... so I could set it stiffer for when I have the plow on the truck and then relax it during the off season ? .. anyone ever do anything like that ..?? ..
  4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

bilsteins..... there about 75 bucks a piece
  5. ddukes

ddukes Junior Member

firestone airshocks are nice have them on my 2007hd good thing about them is they are adjustable when the plow isnt on, you can lighten them up i have an 8.5 meyer and the truck doesnt even drop an inch running 90 psi i run 20-30psi when im just driving. if im not mistaken, they have bilsteins in them im no mechanic, so dont quote me on that one
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

GET Timbrens, once you have them you wont ever go without them. A little pricey but will save you lots in the long run
  7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Are you running any ballast?
    Check the shocks to see if there leaking

7.5 lot pro is not a heavy plow for 3500
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get some new shocks and see how it rides then
  9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite!

Stay away from the real wide tires because they spread the weight of the truck out. Narrow tires will dig a lot better.
  10. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

Just replace the shocks with something decent bilistein would be the best but not needed something cheap from autozone will work just fine. Also that truck shouldn't need timbrens depending on what t-bars were installed from factory.

You can fit 285/75/16's on that truck with no lift using the factory rims and fender flares. Just take a hammer to the rear of the front fender (not noticeable with the flares they bend to the contour perfectly) then cut a small section off the bottom corners of the front bumper and seal the new cut with clear paint if its a chrome bumper.
  11. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I also have them. The best thing i ever did to my truck.