1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to rant for a bit!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMHConstruction, Nov 14, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry if this should be in the off topic area, but maybe it will save someone else or at least give caution to all.

In August I was looking for a new contractor to do business with this year and subcontract for them. I found a huge company that does some huge locations out in my area and had business all over, so I could be close to my place. I met with them, and talked about a minimum per hour price, and a per push price (whichever is greater). I was leery to take their small(ish) hourly price, but they assured me that the hourly was to keep their subcontractors happy in the event of a large snow, and we are out longer.

I had to add them to my insurance company, and signed papers in September. They were very nice and told me they would be finishing up their contracts and set up a route, even though in the meeting we talked about certain routes they wanted me and the guys to clear. Whatever, I had found a good company to work with and we don't get snow for a while. I little time went by and I emailed them in mid to late October making sure they hadn't forgot about me. I received an email saying they were working last minute routes out and will be getting back to me soon.

Well today (yes, today, after some of you have already seen that white stuff fall this season) I received my route. I opened my email to check it out. They have an estimated completion time, other stuff, and the price they're paying. Judging from photos, they're completion time seems pretty close. It's just shy of 11 hours, and paying less than $700. Under half the price we originally talked about for the "slow storms" if I went to the hourly rate. I pay myself and 4 guys, and if I payed everyone (including myself) the same amount it's less than $13/hr!!! That is without paying overhead or a profit!

I emailed them, to give them a chance to explain themselves. I assume they're just going to BS their way around it. They waited this whole time just so they can screw their subs, and try to wait so long that we can't find other work. If they don't make this right I will let everyone know the company, and put it on every KC thread also.

Okay, well I feel a little better now. Sucks I have to find a new contractor, but we'll see how this plays out. I'll keep all of you who read this whole thing updated.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I think you said you do sidewalks, correct? Maybe not since you mentioned insurance, and I don't think sidewalk guys have to carry insurance. Although I could be wrong since I don't do walks. I wouldn't worry too much about finding another contractor. Around here at least, I'm still seeing ads all over the place for subs. Good luck.

3. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Interested to see what company you were dealing with. We've been looking into being subs but we had a bigger contract come to us again this year so we've stayed with our own contracts.

Good luck, hope everything plays out alright

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would not sub, ever. I would hire on as a driver / operator before that.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It sucks when you have to wait on others and they put you in a bad position. I learned this awhile ago with third parties. Tell them you might as well flip burgers for the winter in a warm environment with predictable hours. $13 /hr sounds right if it's standby pay 24/7 Nov-April

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Snowmen....?

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'm sorry you had to be involved in that mess. If it makes you feel any better I got plucked by one of third party management team bull. Never sub unless it's a local reputable company.

You already had a bad experience. Wait till you invoice you will really rant then. Be careful with these management teams. To me there just a bunch of dishonest trying for personal gain,

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'm sorry you had a bad situation be for you got started. This is not the end wait till you invoice. Never deal with them 3rd party management teams. They are dishonest and only looking for personal gain.

O I forgot I got plucked like a chicken by one.

9. JMHConstruction

It's not snowmen. I don't want to give the name and start smashing them online, until after the bridge is ready to burn. It's also not a national company, it's a local company. I'm hoping there was a mistake some where, because as it stands I'd be un the hole after paying my guys.

10. JMHConstruction

Yeah, only sidewalks. Still gotta have the insurance though, to cover my a$$. Most companies around here just want a "crew leader" or a bunch of minions running around for nothing. They guy I used in the past has always been great, but he sold his company and I didn't get a good vibe off him, so I looked around. Might call him Monday.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Sorry about the 2 threads.:eek::confused::dizzy: