1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to raise my 01 2500HD one inch!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by papashaq, Sep 3, 2009.

1. papashaq

papashaq Junior Member

Hi all, I have a 2001 2500HD Crew cab, short box with the 6.0, 4x4. No plow package. I also have an 06 Boss 8'2" V plow with smart hitch. My problem is my truck front end sits to low and my plow doesn't sit down flush to the pavement while in the v position. The mount is supposed to sit something like 14" from the ground with out plow on and I am sitting at about 13". I took the plow and truck back into the dealer and made some adjustments as best he could to try and level it out, but still doesn't sit right. But that doesn't change the fact that my mount is still to low and it is as high as it can go.

So I need to raise my truck up about one inch in the front. I currently am running just stock suspension. No timbrens or anything. To my knowledge no front suspension parts have been replaced either. How can I get that extra inch I need to sit at the right height with out the plow on. Would timbrens help me raise it at all? Any help would be appreciated, what is my best solution here.

Anyone else running a Boss V with this truck? Do you have the same problem?

2. Team ReadyLift

Team ReadyLift Inactive
    from USA

Being the truck is an '01, chances are good that your torsion bars have weakened over time and thus causes the truck to sag. Usually this happens to one bar before another and usually the drivers side, but it can happen to both equally too. Its not an uncommon problem on older torsion bar trucks. If you are one inch too low up front you will need to adjust the suspension more than one inch to achieve one inch of lift. By that I mean simply adjusting the torsion keys to compensate for both the possibly weakened torsion bars and to get the desired lift (and then factor in your plow set up weight too), you'll have to adjust MORE than what you think to get 1".
    Of course I'm going to recommend this:
    http://www.readylift.com/c-37-silverado-15002500hd-2000-2009-2wd-4wd-8-lug-25.aspx

Aside from replacing your torsion bars which could be required if they are really weakened, I think you will be able to achieve the results you are looking for without messing up the ride quality.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Put 3-4 full turns in the Torsion bars, add a set of Timbrens and all will be good. :salute:

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Add a set of timbrens, and read the documentation for that plow. IIRC, there is an adjustment for the profile of the plow on the ground. Check page 8 of the manual here...

5. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Crank your t bars, run some timbrens, and get bigger tires. This should raise you up and keep you up to where you need to be.:drinkup:

6. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I did 4 turns of my torsion bars on my 01 2500hd but I do have the biggest tires you can fit on my truck think they are 285 75 16

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This is spot on, one note mark a spot on your bolt head and the spacer so you can keep track of the number of turns as you crank them. Also if you jack the front end up off the ground it will be a lot easier and remember to use jack stands.

Good Luck Mike

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I write the before hand hub to fender measurement (as well as the amount of turns I placed in the bars) down in the glove box with a sharpie. Leaves the info permanent with the trucks and easy to read for future reference if/when ever needed.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

While the leveling kit will certainly raise the front of the truck, it will not increase the spring rate of the torsion bar. Timbrens will actually take some of the weight off the torsion bars. This is the only way to reduce sag when you lift the blade, except of course stronger T-bars.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  10. azandy

azandy Member

The center of the hole on the truck mount where the plow pins snap into need to be 15.5" from the ground. Raise your front end enough to obtain this. Keep in mind if you crank up the front end torsion bars four or more turns, your camber will be off and should be alligned.

11. EXR

EXR Senior Member

A front end leveling kit is the only way to solve this.
    I had one installed in my old truck and was able to turn down the tbars to reduce stress on them at the same time raise the front end 2".
    I have a level kit ordered for my dmax crew cab. Its the only way to operate with a plow on a gm...which is my 2nd biggest issue with gm. Why do they have front ends so low on all their 4wd's. Ford and dodge do not have this issue as much.

Biggest issue is the wheel and tire size. The tires on my 2500 are one size up from my wife's escape. Its a joke, they look funny on such a big truck.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Adjusting the keys does not change the stress on the T-bars. The stress is equal to the weight carried by the T-bar. No more, no less.

13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

This is a common misconception, but it is false. Laws of physics cannot be broken by a leveling kit. Leveling kits are nothing but re-indexed keys. With a leveling kit you get the same effect as cranking the bolt, but with the added benefit of stimulating the economy by giving away money. Either way you do it, you twist the back of the bar a few extra degrees, which in turn rotates the lower control arm down a few degrees, which results in the truck's static ride being a bit higher. Niether leveling kits nor cranking the bolts changes the weight that the front suspension is supporting. Front end weight equals stress on torsion bars no matter how high the truck sits. It's not a bad thing, that's how they are engineered.

There are only 3 ways to reduce the stress on the torsion bars: 1) Remove weight. 2) Add Timbrens. 3) Add air shocks.

For the original poster: I'm a fan of Timbrens, a few turns on the bolts (oil them before turning and jack up the front first), and 265 tires. In that order.

14. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I suppose you're right about the weight. My comment was meant that I was able to not turn my tbars up and have the front end up a couple inches.

15. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

I have 3 2500's with duramax's in them and all have boss 8'6" v-blades, we installed tiberons and taller tires when we get the trucks, that way you do not have to mess with the t-bars, of having to realign the front end, this will keep a smoother ride when not having the plow on the truck, unlike adjusting the t-bars empty ride is like.

16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Trailer tires ?????????

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He said taller tires. Bigger.

18. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

OPPs my misread !!!!!

19. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

i just gor a snowdogg v on today and i cant even get in my driveway now-its scraping right away and its the mount not the blade. i see talk of 14"- from the ground to the lift frame or mount. i dont have any ballast in yet and stock suspension, but im worried-how can i plow snow if i cant even get past the ramp into the lot. will timbrens help a problem of this magnitude, or should i go to the dealer and complain that they didnt realize that something wasnt right??? im a newb and this is my first plow-i thought a 2500 hd with plow prep would be plenty, but i guess not.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your dealer should have adjusted your t-bars for you. Also sounds like Timbrens are in order. Unless there is a problem with the plow installation. I have no idea how low the plow frame should be on a SnowDogg