1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to purchase a small snowblower.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMSNOW, Aug 16, 2006.

1. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

The past yrs I have shoveled the sidewalks but I am getting more commercial accounts and they are to much to do by hand. I need to purchase a snow blower that is lite enough so I can lift it in and out of my pickup by myself but has enough power so it will go through the heavier snows.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking at the Toro 2450 - 5 horse power or the Toro 3650 6.5 horse power.

Thx
    GMSNOW

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you be really happy with the Toro. I have an older one that is only 3.5 hp and it has been great. I only take the 2 stage on snowfalls over 6" and for that I require ramps to get it in and out of my truck.

3. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

Do you think I need the 6.5 horse or are the Toro motors pretty strong. Maybe I could get away with just the 5 horse.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would depend on the amount of snow you are trying to move and how far you want to throw it. I have a town sidewalk that I do. The street plow covers it from time to time with the slush from the road. My 3.5 will throw it but on 2 or 3 feet but that is enough for me to get it off the sidewalk. I have moved 10" snowfalls before that have not been walked on and are fairly dry. It will throw that 10 to 15 feet without any problem. So I would think the 5 hp would work well. It might also be a little lighter to get in and out of the truck. Though out is easy, it is all down hill.