1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to plow a steep driveway? muddy area?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Jan 30, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i wish i had the money i would love to get a set to have for fun. An expensive little toy that arent even dot approved. Deffinitly would love to take them down the road though and see the looks you would get.
    Evan

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you need those, you should not be plowing it with a pick up. They are nice but a waste of $5,000 for plowing driveways. If your equipment cant handle it in 4 wheel drive with good tires then dont plow there.

Waste of money to be completely honest.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I would check out that price again when i called them it was 30,000 for small trucks not 5000. If somebody got a set for 5 I would jump on them in a minute..

5. Bob Pro

Bob Pro Junior Member

How would you steer. I looks like it could be hard to. It give more surface area in the front and your not steering on points anymore.

6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I think you are right i think the sets for atvs are about 5000 for a set. I do remember hearing that they were up around 30000
    Evan

7. fernalddude

Yea when i called them for info they called for weeks to sell a set to me if i had 30 grand around i would have a set or two.

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I'm not putting them on a pickup, I'm putting them on a small tractor for mud work on our farm.

But it would be fun on a pickup ;)

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would suggest getting a better suited tractor for the farm instead- small crawler tractor (d2 cat), or a Bombardier half track, something actually meant for the terrain, or adapting the tractor with the mud gear made for it- like dual tires and chains, triple tires on the rear, flotation can tires, etc.

There are proper mud solutions for farm equipment that would probabily cost less, and would work better.

10. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

For $30,000 I could build an entire tracked vehicle from scratch. That's total BS.

-Phillip

11. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

there is a set or 3 floating around here. all for sale.

if someone is serious, let me know and i will track down phone numbers.

a tracked skid steer might be a better program.

one comment for pushing snow. what works better for pushing snow, 15 inch wide tires for flotation, or 6 inch wide tries that sink?

the answer is the 6 inchers. i really don't think tracks are the answer for pushing snow. for sure they don't work on skid steers.

12. fernalddude

Yes but they do send you a great vid and price list if you contact them:nod: drmiller drop me a line if you find them i run broncoII same lug patern as jeep cj. off the top of my head think its 4.5 5 lug

13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I actually sell tractors. I also sell a small bull dozer, 30hp, available with 3ph, PTO and option for front end loader. However, a tracked CUT would be cool, it's lighter, can still go in barns, etc... and you can swap out the wheels in the non muddy seasons.

Although the D2 cat is a nice tracked machine, it's not suitable for small farm work. It's cumbersome, heavy for transport and as far as I know, isn't available with 3PTH and PTO. And it's not a good idea to drive them on poured concrete.

There are some rubber tracked tractors available, but they are pricey and usually snatched up by septic and well guys. The new ones are too pricey.

At $5000 for the CUT versions, you can't get a tracked tractor.

As for duals, they work best on bigger machines and are pricier than you would think.

14. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

You will also find that an increasing number of farm equipment is switching to tracks.

Here is a combine that has been converted to front tracks. Might be straight from case, but I've never seen one from the factory like this. I could be wrong though as I don't have much experience with combines.

[​IMG]