1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need To Get This Off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

I have a Dodge Ramcharger sitting in the yard totaled it has been sitting in there for a couple years with a nearly new Western Mount and wire harness...
    I waited forever but can not find anyone to help me get this stuff off the truck so I am going to attempt TO DO IT MYSELF.
    The mount and wire is wirth a few dollars so I am going to try to salvage it, what I need is a diagram of a wire harness, when I looked at it I kind of got overwelmed scared I am going to pull off things that shhould not have been pulled off lol
    Wouls anyone happen to have a diagram or something that can make this easzy for me? The mount itself is prtty rusted tight but I have a can of rust ex that should halp with that just gotta figure out what size wrench I need to use?
    Thanks! Any help of course would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Well with the harness you should be able to tell what is "western" and what is "Dodge" if you know what I mean. Other than headlight wires power and the control wires there really isn't much to a plow wiring harness.

The mount may need some more persuasion than just penetrating lube and a rachet if its been sitting for years. You may have to get the blue tipped speed wrench on the bolts. Try to spray them a couple of times before trying maybe a day or two prior. If its a no go on the bolts with a regular wrench try an impact if you have one. Other than that advice Good luck :waving:
  3. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Thanks Robo! I wish I knew how to post pics lol I wouild be able to show you a pic of what I am working with, The impact will not strech to the yard thats the problem I am having but I am going to give it a GO anyway I do have a western hook up on my Ford maybe I can trace them wires to give me a good idea.
    Any account great advice and thanks!
  4. ramit

ramit Junior Member

Go to Westerns web site you can down load the instructions and diagrams.I put my own plow and harness on and it was not that bad.www.westernplows.com. Good Luck
  5. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

Where in NJ are you and what type of western are we dealing with?
    Behind the bumper with the lights and mount permanantly on the truck or a unimount with just the bracket hanging down and the two hitching pins. If its a homemade wiring harness dont bother, its not worth more than 20 bucks if you can find someone to take it. The mount is worth a few bucks regardless, more if its a unimount. You can get a cheap PVC hose 50' for 10 bucks a depot, maybe borrow one from a local shop and leave a deposit to take it back, I would do it for someone. Your gonna need an impact to get it off, wrenches are hard enough to hold the nut end, more like crack bolts rusted for years, use penetrating spray of some sort, and let it soak and sit for at least a day, spray it often through the day before you crack it. If you have a compressor, grab an extension and take it out there the way it is with whatever hose you got. If its gas wheel it out there as well. THe previous poster has good advice, westerns site has all the wiring for downloads, I've installed all my plows myself using that info on each one.............
  6. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

You could also use a speedwrench on it. Just be sure to ave someone with you to watch for fire!

Hot tip:
    Heat the tip of the bolt you are cutting (away from frame) til it is redy to cut. Once you start cutting, just slice the bolt down in layers. When you get closer to the mount or frame, keep oxygen applied and back torch away from bolt. If the bolt stays at the cutting temp (molten metal), then you just blow it off with the oxygen. It won't cut into the mount of frame of truck AS LONG AS you don't heat up. Only want to try and heat the bolt and keep it hot. Once it is cut flush, just tap it out with a pick and hammer. Hitting it out works best if you hit is while it is still glowing.

Good luck.