1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to get the nose up

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by glennemay, Jan 16, 2011.

1. glennemay

glennemay Member

OK. This shocked me just a little.

I have an 04 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew 8' bed.

Put a 9' Fisher Minute Mount plow on her and the front end is far too close to the ground for my taste. I will be adding leaf springs in the spring but in the meantime is there anything I can do to keep my cutting edge from whacking the ground during travel.

It doesn't seem to me that the plow is coming up high enough. I have the chains adjusted so that plow A Frame is in full contact with the stops on the upper gear. The blade is in the lower holes on the adjustments in the rear.

I am having a couple of thoughts.

1. Adjust the holes to the top adjustment. This should give a little more angle.
    2. Cut off the frame stops and weld on some shorter ones.

Any ideas or thoughts? I have not had a plow in 20 years, so this is a little new to me. all over again.

G

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You use the rear holes in the A-frame to get the A-frame as close to parallel with the ground as possible. I'm guessing you need to go up at least one hole on the Ford. That will also allow the blade to come up higher.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you havent had a plow in 20+years then stuff has changed a bit.

the newer fast mount/ min mount / ultra mount stuff sits lower on the truck frame side and the plows dont come up as high as older stuff does.

but like said try to adjust so the a frame is level with the ground. thats for best attack angle on the plow edge for best scraping.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would probably go with a set of air-bags in the front instead of adding leafs to the front axle.

This way you can let the air out of them during the off-season and keep a better ride.

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

What engine do you have and what springs do you have on your front end. What is you FGAWR?

6. sweetk30

spring info for a ford will be on door jamb sticker under spring code. get use this info. and the gvw will be in front and rear listings with the #'s .

7. glennemay

glennemay Member

Information from door code:
    GVWR 11200
    Front GAWR 5200lb
    Rear GAWR 8250lb
    Engine is the V10 Gasoline.

When I look at the plow down, it appears it may be just a little nose forward on the frame. I assume I should try going up a hole in the mount? Does that sound right?

G

8. sweetk30

post a pic if possible.

9. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

what about ballast? how much wheight is in the back? against the tailgate?

10. glennemay

glennemay Member

Hope this works. I have not uploaded pics to this site yet.

This is the only one I have I can take more when the sun comes up. Thats if it's not snowing in the morning. :)

G

plow.jpg

11. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Hmmm... Sounds plow prep to me...

Might be something to do with the plow assembly itself.

12. glennemay

glennemay Member

I bought the plow used. It came off of an 05 F350 dump.

I am assuming that I need to adjust the A frame in the main frame? But again I have not done this for over 20 years and the last plow I had was a conventional Fisher.

G

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Sorry, Fisher is not my area of expertise.

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Only thing I could mention is to find the three holes where the A-frame mounts to the Minute Mount and use the bottom holes. It looks like it's angling upwards just a shade and it might make it more parallel to the ground.

Otherwise it doesn't look too bad at all. Even with the solid front axle on my truck, and leaf springs, I'll still get a bit of sag when I raise the plow, but not enough to actually worry about.

15. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

2.5" front end leveling kit will do wounders and not change the ride of the truck.

16. glennemay

glennemay Member

I have about 600lbs in the bed of the truck. Directly against the tailgate. 200 the rest is spread out a bit.

17. glennemay

glennemay Member

A little sag is acceptable. I am getting enough that when I angle the plow my pads are constantly on the ground.

I see plenty of other trucks (All Makes) with the plow in the up position is several inches higher than mine. Since the truck is so long to begin with I have a difficult time getting the piles stacked up as high as I like If I could elevate the plow another 4" I would be able to stack far higher.

G

18. glennemay

glennemay Member

I have no experience with these kits. I don't want to lift the front end if I can help it.

More information on what they accomplish would be great.

G

19. glennemay

glennemay Member

OK. Took some time today in between storms to get some more pics. I am going to make the frame adjustment tonight. In anyone's experience should i go to the top hole, or the middle one.

I also stopped and looked at a couple of other plows while we were out. The blade stops on mine seem far longer than the ones on others I saw.

Because this is a 9' blade and I have a rubber foil on the top I need to angle it to go down the road. Otherwise I have a bad habit of taking out the snowbanks on the side of the road when passing another car or worse. Another plow.

2011-01-20_14-39-58_670(2).jpg

2011-01-20_14-42-09_169.jpg

2011-01-20_14-39-50_719(2).jpg

2011-01-20_14-38-41_380.jpg

2011-01-20_14-38-25_902.jpg

20. glennemay

glennemay Member

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to check out several other plows on trucks (No one is taking them off after the storms anymore it seems)

I have not seen another MM1 with the stacking stops on the main frame at all? Did everyone cut them off, or did someone put them on this plow?

Any information on them is great.

Glenn