1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to find 87 gmc parts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snow tender, Dec 29, 2011.

1. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Looking for a rag joint for our 87 GMC 4x4 dump truck (V 3500). Have been to the dealer and their is no longer a listing for that part. They told me to check aftermaket parts to see if I can find one. I have tried the salvage yards but with the steel cost high the past year most of the late model stuff is gone. I did find a part number on the LMC web site but they dont show a listing for the V series trucks. Can anyone tell me if the joints are the same for the 2500 and the 3500. Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

here is a good cheep mod for ya and better performance. i tiny modification to fit in gm truck is grind small notch were pinch bolt will pass on steering colum shaft . otherwise bolt in job and eliminate rag joint.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2500789&postcount=167

or this should work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OER-C2553/

and fyi 81-87 trucks and 81-91 blazer / burban / crew cab same part for you.

also 87 first year body style name change. v= k = 4wd and r= c= 2wd . thay did this for the up coming 88-up new bodys .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. snow tender

Thanks Sweetk30 I will try that. Just hard for me to think that a 30 dollar part is halting a part of our salting operation.

4. zzamud

zzamud Member

i have a 89 v3500 and i just instaled a 20 doller rag joint from napa two months ago

5. snow tender

zzamud You are like the fourth person to tell me that I have tried the Napa stores around here and they say their is no listing for it. Sometimes the smaller stores just dont want to mess with the PITA parts.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Dorman part #31015 is the whole joint

7. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

tell them to look in there HELP line catalog it is a universal rag joint fits all gm trucks from like 60 something up to 91. i used to work at a napa and the worse thing is if its not on the computer anymore there clueless

8. zzamud

zzamud Member

I can get the napa part number for u in the morning

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

napa # BK 6301446

10. zzamud

zzamud Member

Napa number 630 1012 is one i used on my v3500

11. zzamud

zzamud Member

let me know if u ever need any more napa part numbers im a auto care center and my laptop in my office is connected to napa prolink so i can search and find correct part numbers thru napa