1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to buy Lights and Siren...any opinions??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Sweetpete, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys,

As some may know, I recently got hired on as a part-time paid FF here in Ohio. So far so good. We had our orientation today and was informed that I need to purchase a red strobe and high decibel siren for responses during off hours.

So, anyone here have an idea about where to go to buy and have installed? I'm clueless about electronics, so I'll need a reputable dealer.

Let me know what you think or what you use.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I cant help you wit hthe dealer but as for a siren, I got mine from www.sirennet.com. Its a whelen hideaway unit. all that is seen is a little switch and you can even operate the siren from the horn on the steering wheel. You can get a red light from the same website and they may be able to point you towards a dealer in your area as well.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey sweetpete check your posting in the forsale forum
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Talk to other firefighters you see. A lot of guys have extra stuff or know people that sell used stuff. It's out there.
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

galls.com or strobesnmore.com not installers but sell good products that are easy to install if you have some basic tools.
  6. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

no one on your dept knows where to get lights and sirens ???

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I've got a mini bar I'll sell ya with red filters for 125 shipped to your front door. just gimme your address and I'll give you mine.
  8. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Do not use Galls, too overpriced.
    Sirennet and strobesnmore are the two I use. There has to be at least one guy on your new dept. that can help you with the installs. Take a trip to Mass. and I'll help you out.
  9. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

Get your lights from sirennet.

get your siren from Galls. there street thunder units are good. I have the one with the remote faceplate and there cheap speaker. it is louder then my squad cars all whelen unit.
  10. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

you lookin for full length or a mini bar and or the price range ??
  11. tojay22

tojay22 Member

i have a whelen 48'' strobe / led low profile edge in the for sale section. let me know!
  12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Try Parrpse in columbus. He's got some decent deals. Go with Whelen for the light. I like Whelen's and Federal/Code 3's for the siren. You'll want to get minimum of 100 watt siren. I've got some used 200 Watt Whelen sirens where you'd have to get 2 speakers to run. Ask the powers that be about going LED's for your lights. Strobes tend to wash out in the daylight and flashback really bad in the fog. You won't have that with the LED's and they don't draw 1/2 the power.

You can get any radio communication place to do the install if you don't know how to do it but it's actually pretty easy. If you go with a Magnet Mount light you just plug the thing into the lighter and go.

I'm a Halogen Man myself. I'm old school and can tell you all kinds of stuff on them but since they want Strobes. Well that's another story in my book. I really don't care for them. Like I said. Ask them about LED's and I think they wouldn't have a problem with them.

Good luck.
  13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

I've dealt with strobes'n more, but never again. The owner is a real d*ckh#ad. Actually called me at home and chewed me out because I sent an email asking why he shipped via courier when he indicated he would send via post office. The problem is us Canadians get dinged big time by courier companies for "brokerage fees" when coming across the border. I strongly suggest you stay away from "Louis" and his crew unless you like being yelled at over the phone, and I'm not the first one to bring this up in a forum posting.
  14. publicsafety

publicsafety Junior Member

I have all of this stuff in stock - a mini light bar, siren & speaker combo kit and everything else.

Just let me know if I can help. Call me if needed.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

16. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

take note that lighbarn is the new name for Elighbars.