1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need to buy a new spreader any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow7899, Jan 22, 2010.

1. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

We are in the market for a 2.5 yard SS spreader. The options we are looking for are: flip up shoot, inverted V, Gas motor, top screen. We have looked at Flink(7500.00) Torwell, Downeaster, Smith (but don't like the electrical quick connectors)
    Any adveise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

I love my western salter! For your dump you should check out the snowex tailgate replacement. They look like be alot easyer to clean out.Just put the salter on the dump on the new salt truck.

4. LON

LON Senior Member

Henderson FSP2. Been selling the Henderson products for 27 years now. Check their site for a local dealer - www.henderson-mfg.com

5. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

I like the new generation of western tornado or fisher ploycaster. They are configurable to fit dump and flat bed. But no gas only electric
    -first gen is garbage (always needs ajustment or something is broken)
    -second gen solved the problems i like it seems solid
    picked up mine installed - $6200 CAD
    probably way cheaper by your way

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why gas........My reccomendation is give it some more thought and go electric, but thats me. I'm SOOOOOO sick of the issues we've had with gas units. We bought an electric under tailgate from Swenson. Really nice unit, for a larger truck.

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

We always seem to have corrosion issues with the wiring. we wash out all our equipment right away and oil the chains, fluid film, and grease electrical plugs. Don't want to replace the main power plugs from corrossion every year. We also run mostly 50-50 bulk. can an electric unit handle the extra load? Smith dealer told us the motors run about 650-700 to replace.
    We took alook a the Smith spreaders, but they seem really thin.
    Flink was out of the budge @ 7400.00
    Torwel, or Downeaster may be the spreader we are going to use.

8. fordf350super

fordf350super Junior Member

i have a fisher polycaster i would say its the best one i have had. no crosion issues. its in your price range and can really put out what you need it to.i would highly reccomend in
    best investment i have made