1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need to add a new truck to the fleet

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsniper1, Nov 28, 2006.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what do guys think about these trucks?i need 4x4 and a dump box.f550,chevy5500,or a cab forward converted to 4wheel drive.i will probly run a 10' boss v or a 8611 blizzard i run smaller versions of both now
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Cab forward will give excellent visibility for plowing and you're probably able to get a bigger dump body for the chassis. Kinda depends what you're looking to do with it for the rest of the year. I see a good number of Fuso's with 9' Fishers and sanders. Let us know how you make out with it
  3. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I got a new 06 F550 last fall. I have the diesel with 4.33 gears, 4x4, and a 17950 GVWR. I have a 9' Henderson Mark III dump body on it. I mounted a 9-6 Western MVP and a Western Icebreaker in it. I love the truck. Almost unstoppable when it comes to pushing. I use it mainly on my big commercial lots, but it is small enough to handle small commercials as well. I don't try to, but in a pinch it can do residentials as well.

Depending on how you have the truck built, you can go for a heavier GVW and a longer box. Unfortunately Chevy no longer makes a cab like the F550. All they have is the cab forward now.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would go with the 5500 just for the visability. They offer a very nice veiw. A cab over 5500 would be even better for visability.