1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need to add a new truck to the fleet

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowsniper1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what do guys think about these trucks?i need 4x4 and a dump box.f550,chevy5500,or a cab forward converted to 4wheel drive.i will probly run a 10' boss v or a 8611 blizzard i run smaller versions of both now

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i sense the ford vs. chevy battle beginning in yet another thread.................:D

3. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

F-550 has the same power of the 5500 but the dump is lower to the ground and not as big of a truck which is great when plowing driveways, parking lots or doing anything in tight areas.

4. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

A 5500 turn better than an f550

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Depends if you want to use the truck in a pinch for driveways or not.....that would be done easier with a F-550 than a 5500. Do you want a bigger framed truck or smaller? Thats the question, both will do the job very well.payup

6. snowsniper1

thanks for the input guys

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

chevy 5500 is more truck than the f550........duramax, and more importantly an ALLISON tranny cannot be beat.

8. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Fords have a stronger frame and i feel like you can bet them up more although chevy has a much better transmission. Cant go wrong with either one. Let us know what you end up getting

9. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

Yes a 5500 has a better transmission (engines we can discuss later;) ) but a 5500 is MUCH bigger then a F-550. A F-550 is better for places liek here in NJ where there is so much stuff around you you need a powerful heavy duty truck in a smaller package. Also the F-550's body sits MUCH lower to the ground.

10. snowsniper1

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11