1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Tires what should i get

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by bradman0087, Feb 26, 2009.

1. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

hello i have a 1987 yamaha moto 4 2 wheel drive with a cycle country plow.. my tires are getting very worn i believe they are the original.. my bike was sitting for a few years.. tires are dryrotting.. i mainly plow snow and go in the mud... What is a good tire for me to get and where should i get them?

2. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

mudlite xtr they will relly help in the snow and mud

if you want to go big go with highlifter outlaws or silverbacks

eather way go with as wide as posable on the back then go with a less agresive tire up front

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

mudlights in the back and just a good trail tire for up front.

or even 589's if you due alot of pavement due to the fact that they last a very long time.

589's are better in Mud but worse on trails than Mudlights.

what is your current tire size?

either stay that size or 1 step up but no more than that unless you have power mods done to your quad.

does it now spin your tires in the Mud with ease?
    bigger tires are gonna take more power to turn.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I would get a tire that had very good wear. because 2/wd you probably spin the tires a lot. I would go with mudlites or dirt devils.

5. sublime68charge

If your stock tires still hold air put a set of chains on them you'll have more traction with Chains on your old tires then get yourself a summer set for when you ride in the Mud.

weight on the back of the quad also will help out alot.

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I agree. I have 2 sets of tires. one for plowing and one fore riding.

7. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

just checked my tires and they are Dunlop Kt486 22X8.00-10 on front
    and Dunlop Kt 725 25X13.00-9 rears.. Thanks for the suggestions

8. sublime68charge

your riding set is more like the set you use to get stuck. LOL

9. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

big mud tires suck for plowing. i've plowed with mudlights, there ok. i'd run a good a/t tire with chains on a 2wd quad. i'm running maxxis zilla's right now and there decent but wish i had go with atleast 27's verses the stock sized 25's.

btw i couldn't make a pass on my property w/o getting stuck with a 2wd. you plowing a flat paved drive?

10. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

mudlite xtr 25-10r-12 rear
    mutlite at 24-8-12 front

you will need to get some cheap steel wheels

11. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

well thats the other thing i dont like my gold stock rims and i was trying to get a set of new steel rims with tires on them used on my local craigstlist they are of a suzuki 250 ithey are 4 lug are these atv rims pretty much all the same?

I plow sidewalks and drives with no problem throw 2 bags of salt on back i plow down hills in low not up.. i also have chains but rarely run them...

Brad

12. kingcat400

kingcat400 Member

there are a few differnt patterns but normely brands are the same so you will have to find out what yours is and what those are

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

acutally my dirt devils go a lot better then executioners. which are on the brute force I ride with. he always gets stuck and I find myself pulling him out all the time.