1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Tires For Plowing!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tom c., Feb 15, 2006.

1. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

hEY DODGE DUDES,Im gonna need new tires on my 03 1500 dodge ram quad its got r245 17 on it now, can anybody suggest a tire a little meatier thats good for plowing? I dont want to get anything thats strictly off road but Id like to get a tire has a decent tread for plowing and to fill the wheel wells a little any tires you guys can recommend? Thanks for any info you can give me!!!Tom

2. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

U looking

to go the a new rim as well..?? Or just upgrade on the current 17" wheels you currently are running now..??

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got an '03 and an '05 Dodge 2500 Quad / Cummins Diesel.

My '05 came stock with BFGoodrich Rugged Trails, 265 / 75 / 17's.

My '03 just went to 65k miles and needed new tires so I put a set on of the BFG's... I really like them.

4. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Stock

Mine are just studded Nokians, my summer ones are fat ones on Dodge chromies.:drinkup: I plan on painting these ones white for next winter.

07.JPG

5. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I run BFG M/T's in the summer on Eagle Alloy 0589 wheels. Winter I run Pro Comp M/T's, and aside from being loud, they ride pretty good and did pretty well in the storm we had over the weekend. Look at the BFG M/T's for a replacement tire, I had mine on for a storm last winter and they did awesome.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You really don't want a meatier tire for plowing- you want narrow for snow and mud and go with a meatier tire for summer. I run 265/75R16's for summer (Toyo Open country which are actually Snow rated and amazingly good for plowing - plowing them this year) and snows are 235/85R16- same diameter as the 265 but narrower. Gives me taller tire that looks like it belongs in the wheel well but narrower than the summer's.

Lots of recomendations on tire makes and brands already so won't contribute my list (search for it) any further.

7. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

Tires

:realmad: Any one have any expierience with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos? I found them on a web site and they seemed to be well rated. Good rating for snow and ice I was thinking of the 265/70 sr17s:dizzy:

8. wddodge

wddodge Member

I have a set of Revo's on mine and they work well. Might be just a little noisey when driving in the summer but not enough to have to turn the radio up. I'd buy them again.

Denny

9. BearOnt

BearOnt Junior Member
    from Ontario

Michelin LTX M/S - great all round tire.
    My drivers cant believe how well they bite while plowing.
    Great mileage out of them too.
    Tried to get them for my 03, but they dont come in 17 inch
    I went with the LTX A/S I dont think that it is anywhere close to the M/S.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have done really well with Copper Discoverers. They are a great all around tire. They do great in snow and mud. I had a set of 265/75/16s and loved them.

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Cooper Disoverer M+S year round. Nothing else compares.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I will third the cooper discover m&s but for winter only. They wear to quickly otherwise. I also have a set of there all terrians like them too.

13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have put over 25,000 miles in two years on a my daily driver and they still look like new all the sipes and stud holes clearly visible. The dedicated work trucks with less miles last even longer, we usually replace on a 4 year rotation.

They are mud tires

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Dont see how. Mine only got about 20k using in fall through winter then 3/4 of last winter (if you could call last winter winter). Great tires in the snow but not on dry pavement they wear to quick. The rubber is very soft. Thats one of the reasons they work so well in winter.

15. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Which Tires to Run?

This question and the ansewers you got are like asking Dodge or Chevy :waving:

Palerider :gunsfiring:

16. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I use BFG all terrains on all my trucks. Good in snow. Not too noisy. I get good miles out of them. And they are still decent if you have to get off road.

17. fullauto4u

fullauto4u Junior Member

Same Here.....

18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Load E please

First off your going to spend $$$, at least $700 because we have 17" rims, second make sure whatever tire you buy, if your going to plow, it is rated load "E". The last thing you want to do is hang a plow on the truck add some salt to the back, overload the really cool looking tires that only came load "c" start spinning them hot and bang!

FYI, the cooper discover M+S is a very good plow tire, just don't run them in the summer unless you don't mind replacing them each year. They have great traction in the slippery iced pavement left behind after plowing because of all the sipes and soft rubber compound.

If you want a year round tire look at the cooper discover ST or SST.

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bridgestone Dualer A/T

20. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

My Dueler Revos were great.....