1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need tires duratracs or winterforce

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by badbowtie, Oct 16, 2015.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a 2003 crew cab long bed dually has duramax in it. First year plowing with this truck and looking to get tires in the next couple weeks. I had OBS dually gas truck and really liked the duratracs, I never ran them long enough to get a good idea how many miles they would of lasted sold truck. But I am trying to decide to buy another set of duratracs or buy the firestone winterforce will be running all year around. The firestone are almost 4 hundred cheaper. Looking for feedback hopefully from some of you guys that have used both. With the duratracs I used to add about 1000-1500 pounds in bed and never had any problems and very seldom had to use 4x4.
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

On my Ford F-350's been getting about 40k out of Dura's, at around 30K they become questionable for using in the winter IMO. Been running Dura's since '08 and will continue to run them.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

DuraTracs. End of thread. wesport
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Same experience here re wearing out.. I just use my old Duratracs for summer tires. Duratracs are great for deeper snow. I difn't find them as good on packed/icy roads tho. Switched to studded Cooper M&S on my daily driver when the Duratracs on those got too worn for winter.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've been real happy with Winterforce.
  6. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

The 30k is about what I was figuring on duratracs.
    How many miles you get on the winterforce.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

You will wear out the winterforce tires in summer, Duratracs all year or plan on having 2 sets if you want them to last. Snow tires are very soft and wear out very quick during warmer weather (summer).
  8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would like to try a set of Treadwright tires but last year I sent them an email and they never returned my reply.
  9. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I kind of worried about the winterforce wearing out quick in the summer so I guess duratracs again.

I sure would love to try a set of there Axiom A/T tires from treadwright. I just worry about the whole retread thing still since It is almost 650 cheaper for all 6. I dont know but 650 is allot I sure need to really think about them again.
    I also can get the warden B2B tires in my size tad more than the axiom but still allot cheaper than duratracs.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have to chime in...

DuraTrac are awesome in the first 10k. By 20k they are junk. You can ride them out until 30k but they suck in snow after 20k or 2 years which ever comes first. They are expensive for this limited mileage. However, they look cool

BFGoodRich All-terrain are great and last. The new version also looks cool.

Firestone winterforse are the equivalent to BFgoodrich with a little less cool looks.
  11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This is my first year with the Winterforce LT.

Let you know how they did, the end of the season...:D
  12. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I am pretty much narrowed down to duratracs just hate the 1400 dollar bill.
    Or treadwright Axiom or Warden which are less than half the price.

Would love to hear some feedback from anybody that has had both or all three to compare.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  13. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but it's informative for me. Always just OEM tires and usually traded truck before I needed new ones. Not happy with my stock tires when in snow though. I just looked up the DuraTracs, and they come with a 50,000 warranty. So what happens if they're shot at 20 or 30K like some above have said happens?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=2013&autoModel=2500 4wd&autoModClar=Crew Cab
  14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Uh what? I have had both. The bfgs don't even come remotely close to the winter force for plowing and driving on snow covered roads... A true snow tire vs an all terrain
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When tires don't hit the mileage they're warrantied for you return them to the shop you bought them and they should give you a prorated amount for the difference.
  16. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Buff. So if I got the duratracs and they were shot at 20K like the guy above posted (and I'd hit 20 in about 18 months to 2 years), I would get 60% of my money back to use towards a new set?
  17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

25k on my DuraTracs. Still over 13/32" of tread, and delivered amazing performance in snow. I can't imagine HOW at 20k someone is saying their junk. Lol
  18. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I will check how much tread I have left on the duratracs since I sold the previous truck. I kept the tires and mounted them on my old 1 ton dump truck. I will get the depth gauge out and see how miles I had.
  19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When the tread wears down to the wear bars before the mileage in the warranty has been it hit is when its a warranty claim. I believe if you have a 40K and get 20k out of them when they hit the wear bar you get 50% of the price of the tire. I bought a set BFG KO AT's for my '08 when it was new and they were worn down at about 20K and I got 50% back. This is when I started running Dura's.
  20. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Cooper A/T3 ... Just put my second pair on. Works well in snow and as a daily driver. Look for some sort of siping in the tread for good ice traction. Plus you get $70 bones back.