1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need tips for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brain106, Dec 1, 2007.

1. brain106

brain106 Junior Member
    from MA

Hi All
    Another newbie who has very,very little experience plowing. I will be plowing for my employer this year and aside from a few straight runs I am pretty clueless as to what to do. I could use some tips for plowing parking lots. Do I start on the side or the middle? Please be patient with me. Everyone one was a newbie once. i know to angle the blade in the air and I can operate the truck but thats about it. I need to make a good impression to my boss. It is supposed to snow this weekend. Please help and thank you in advance for anything you think may help.

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I Think it all depends on the lot your plowing. Most of the time I like to first figure out a few areas to push most of the snow..usually the ends of parking lots, sometimes the middle.
    This is what i do: (When there are no cars in the lot) 1:Backdrag 2 1/2 truck lengths of the sides and back corners of an area of the parking lot-I do this in order to be able to back up my truck close enough to the perimeter in order to push straight ahead. 2: Start on the side you just cleared for your truck to back up into. Angle your blade away from the side of lot, so your pushing ahead of you and towards the middle of the parking lot. Push snow untill you get pretty close to the end of parking lot, I don't like to push it tight against anything at this point. 3: Put truck into reverse and back up. Keep your blade angled to the middle of the parking lot and repeat # 2 untill you get about 65% done with the area,I now change the angle of my blade and start on the other side of the lot, still pushing the snow to the same area and towards the middle. Once you get to the middle of the lot make your blade straight and start step 4: Push straight untill all of your spill offs are clean. 5: At this point you should have a large line pile of snow on one side of the parking lot. Pick the better side to push to. And take runs at it sideways to push into a corner...It always helps when you have a skidster helping out with pushing/picking up your line pile. I wouldn't always use this technique on heavy snowfalls but I think it works awesome up to bout 7" or so.
    Let me know If I helped out at all.
  4. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

I've been plowing for a years, and i think that is the best tips that a n00b could get.
  5. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

And practice...:nod: slowly...
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Starting out, take it slow and easy. Always check where you going. It's easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of the moment and hit a car or building; not realizing where the ditch is or not leaving enough room out front. One thing that takes awhile is turning as you're backing up. With that plow out front, it's easy to not watch where it's going because you're watching behind you. WHAM - plow hits car, garage, house or SOMEBODY.

Always be THINKING about what you, your truck and your plow is doing.