1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need thoughts on this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Mar 4, 2010.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i hired a guy a couple of storms ago to drive one of my trucks. he work with me until this last storm. i sent him to do 3 lots that should have taken 2-2.5 hours he was out for a little over 5 hours. after we all get done and he goes home iget a call that one place he did he skipped half the drives (condos) and didnt do the walks. so then i tried calling him to tell him he had to go back and finish he didnt answer his phone nor return any of my calls. i ended up having to go back up there and do the work myself. payday is supossed to be today and im am having a real hard time paying him for the hours he worked, one because i had to go back and redo his work and second because i know he had to be slacking somewere to take that long to do the job. i think i might pay him for the time it should have taken only. by the way i can do these three lots in about an hour and 45 minutes so i am being generous with 2.5 hours.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

time to pull him into the office and get a explanation, and it had better be a good one. Sounds like a deadbeat employee, especially if he doesn't answer his phone when you call him about issues like this. you can't really just guess at what his wages should have been, but what you could do is take the hours he said he logged in, and take off the time it took you to go and fix his work, as well as deal with a disgruntled customer, kind of hard for him to whine about not getting his full pay when you can do the math for him

time employee logged in
    -time it took me to redo your work
    -time it took to deal with angry customer
    -time it took to phone you that you didn't answer
    what employee actually earned

see what he has to say to that

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Maybe he was out plowing his own drives on your time?
  4. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. Out making $ on the side with your equipment while on your time. :realmad:
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Guarentee thats what he was up to....
  6. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

call him out on it and im sure you will be able to tell from his responce if he has a good excuse. Does this guy usually do a good job for you?
  7. DEN54650

DEN54650 Junior Member
    from 54650

I would pay him his hours, let him know he screwed you, and tell him he is nolonger needed.

Maybe you should have had a Boss V plow for him, ha ha, just noticed your comment about V blades.

BOSS V BLADES are for guys who want the job done fast!
  8. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I assume it's probaly the same in Ohio as here in PA. But the labor board would be on us like "flys on crap" if we short a guy on his pay and he calls the state and complains. I'd ask for an explanation. And if he doesn't have a valid reason. I'd fire him, and pay him his 5 hours. Keep the govt out of your hair.
  9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How did he do the other times out? Need to ask him what happened but sounds like you already know.
    Do you track gas and mileage on your trucks?
  10. royalcats5

royalcats5 Junior Member

Pay the guy his money, and cut him loose.
  11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

How much do you pay him per hour?
  12. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I wouldn't pay him at all until he shows up looking for a check. Then find out what happened. If it's BS I still wouldn't pay him. Did you take pictures? Always take pictures if you have an issue and have the date and time recorded. It may not hold up in court, but he doesn't know that. I can't imagine this guy can afford to, or is smart enough to pursue it anyway.
  13. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

A. You have to pay him his check in the normal fashion that you would have, had there been no dispute over hours. He doesn't have to request it, argue about it, or otherwise. Withhold it and you could be in trouble.

B. There is such a thing as fraud, and it is a crime. Just because he says it is so, doesn't make it so. Better have proof though; he could just say he was poorly trained and did what he thought he was supposed to do.

Whatever you do, he should be your employee no more. At 5 hours, seems like an easy solution to what could turn in to a big fight.
  14. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

I think he was useing your truck to plow accounts on his own, I had a very simular thing happen 2 years ago, he was plowing from 1am till 7am, told him to take a 2-3 hr break and i would call him to come out and open isles, could not get hold of min till 8pm that night, and the yukon he was useing had to be towed in becasue he took out the trans, but swears he was just sleeping, that is why I couldn't get hold of him. I found out a few weeks later he was bragging to someone that he made over $500.00 with my truck, and the trans went out when he was pulling a friend out of a ditch. I did pay him what he earned, but kicked his ass out, I agree with others, If you pay him for less hours than he booked, you might get in trouble with the state, avoid that at all costs. good luck
  15. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

thanks for reminding me i got to pay one of my guys today i even talked to him today he did not say a thing reading this just reminded me . and my guy takes my truck home he plows some of his neighbors he keeps the money but he helps out so no big deal

your guy pay him the 2.5 hours tell him he was dicking the dog see what he says when you tell him you had to do his work and tell him to do this prsport