1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need thoughts on best 48" sidewalk machine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OFIGUY, Jan 7, 2014.

OFIGUY Junior Member

I am hoping for a little feedback from guys that have LOTS of sidewalks to clear. We use our 4310 kubota with a seven foot straight blade on our wider walks but I have several city blocks of 48" . We run a quad for deeper snow but would like to use a broom if I could since most of the walks are older and very uneven. I was looking at some walk behind brooms but not sure how they will hold up. Anyone running a ventrac or similar that could give me some feed back?
  2. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

We had about 6 miles of sidewalks for a school system. We bought a Kubota 3030. Beautiful integrated cab. We put and Epoke PM 1.4 spreader on the back. It had a 60" blade on the front. Loved that machine. We are considering a Ventrac. A bit pricey but I hear they are awesome.
  3. r.renterprises

r.renterprises Member

John deere 2720 with 60 in brush on front and eather a blower or spreader on back. Has curtis cab works great. Would not recommend the curtis cabs to any one. And the john deere broom has issues. There just not built tough enough.
  4. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

I use a JD Front mower 1445. While not a dedicated plowing machine, it is built with that in consideration. You can get a broom, blower (2 sizes), hydraulic blade 60". I don't have the broom but I have been using the 5ft blower and blade. You may want to move the tires in for 4ft or get the smaller machine.

Frankly, the blade is undersized. Of course, if all you use it for are sidewalks then it's sized right. Could still be taller (it's 18" high). The blower is built commercial grade and despite some hard snow and a couple of rocks, I haven't sheared a pin (pto shuts off). Still, the blower is a mediocre design. The fan is only 16" high. Could be bigger and engine would still handle it fine.

This does have a 4 post ROPS with front glass and heater. I have a block heater but as last week verified, it needs multiple hrs (overnight) and some extra battery to start at 3*F . Otherwise,It does well overall.

There are other brands of front mowers. Also, I have seen some town crews using stronger residential mowers with blades on them since they do OK and are less $$
  5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

do a search for sw48, trackless, and holder. You will never need to buy another
  6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Price wise and versatility. Find a compact tractor with a cab. I have an old JD 4300 with a cab, plow and 3ph drop spreader doing sidewalks at a mall, a commercial site and a few schools. Good road speed, good value.

It also has a front mount snow blower, it could run a broom. Summer time the loader goes on it and it has a bush hog and a finish mower for the 3ph. Also have a post hole auger and probibally some other attachments kicking around I can't think of.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. muff

muff Junior Member

I would recommend a 3300 series Deere. We run a 3320, have a blower, broom and v/u/ straight blade. Blower and broom are deere, blade is a horst. 5 minutes to change implement on front depending on application if you get Deere's front A frame quick coupler.
  8. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

S100 with a broom, Ventrac or gravely tractor. Is what most use around here