1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need suspension advise please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rwood, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Rwood

Rwood Junior Member

I have a 1979 3/4 ton Dodge power wagon with full time 4x4. Recently installed a used Boss 7'6" power v plow that weighs almost 8oo pounds.
    When I raise the plow the front end dips by about five or six inches.
    I'm wondering if I should use air shocks, air bags, etc... to help the truck with the weight.
    I'd even consider adding a leaf but the truck already rides very stiff when the plow is not on, which is most of the year.
    Could someone please let me know what you would do.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might need new springs. But air helpers might be your best bet. Also look for broken springs
  3. montec

montec Junior Member
    from ND

Agreed. Check with husky springs. I've used them before for leaf spring replacement. For airbags get a good brand not the cheapest thing you can buy, thy don't last in cold weather. That is well known in the airbagged ride.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Add leafs when you replace, if it already rides rough what's the harm.
    I had a friend with a 92, and it was always a rough rider, I hated that truck, but it is still plowing today.
  5. Rwood

Rwood Junior Member

Thank you everyone for replying.
    I'm going to check with Husky springs.
    Since the truck is so old it could probably use a new set of springs.
    I just thought air bags might be a better option as I could remove the air when the plow wasn't on so the ride wouldn't be as rough but I always thought they were kind of a gimmick anyway.