1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need subs in Erie Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!Bonuses!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We are a very busy plowing company in Erie Pa. I have 20hrs to try and fill. We offer plenty of hours, easy, no hassle 1" and 2" lots (easy on equipment) competitive pay and best of all BONUSES!!!!! Experienced driver's with own truck and insurance starting between $30.00-$35.00 per hour.

And for all the guys who will be saying this, that and the other about the pay, all I can say is I didn't make the rules! This is our market:cry:

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many hours would an average winter be?

3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I burn 12 dollars an hour in fuel.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

whats the bonus... ?

5. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

how the heck do you have a newer superduty and are making 30-40 an hour, screw that

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hes prob makn 50 to 60

7. Brian Young

BIG NEGATIVE on the 50-60! Our market just sucks. Even hearing the bigger boys bitchin' cause there is no one to plow and the market is crashing. Our area has had quite a few lay-offs at factories over the past 2 years, and you know what happens then...10 new landscape and snow plowing company's are born. Its amazing, I can drive 2-3 hours away and bill out 100-150.00 per truck but around here you r lucky to get 40-50.00 per truck. I say we all go on a 1 year strike!

8. Brian Young

I know, it sucks but it is what it is. I quoted a lady yesterday for a driveway that was 60ft long double wide with a small "T" in the middle. She wanted everything cleared and before 6am, I told her 20.00....she said I was rediculious and she was paying 12.00 last year. I said then hire him back...she said he got out of plowing, I said do you see the connection?....she hung up on me.:gunsfiring:

9. Brian Young

Tough to tell, you can make on an average, high 2's low 3' if you are available. We average around 100+ inches a year.

10. Brian Young

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...what else?

11. Brian Young

We're talking p/u trucks not loaders of any type. If your burning 12.00/hr in fuel with a p/u then you have problems, IMO. I burn about 7-8 in my F250 SD.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I allow for 12 dollars per hour when bidding. I may only burn 3 gallons an hour but whats the difference when you can only get 30.00 an hour. By the time you subtract fuel and insurance and expenses, wear and tear.....the guys in your market are making 15 dollars an hour (or less) to provide on average a 20,000 piece of equipment, and assume half the risk or more. If they have to pay tax? Well.....you see where I am going.

Im not dissing you, maybe it is the market, but thats a dog gone shame. It's insulting.

Most of all its scary. Because it's happening everywhere to some extent. And spreading its wings.

13. Brian Young

OK look, every one has their own opinions about everything. I'm just looking for help in Erie. I dont know or care what guys are getting in Maine or Mich. or anywhere else! I certainly would be paying more if OUR MARKET would allow it but it doesnt so good for you if your getting 40,50,60,70,80,90,or 1000 for plowing but again we cant. 30-35 per hour is a going rate for a newer commercial guy with own equip, it is what it is!

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I'm commenting more on the industry as a whole, Brian. I conceded the fact that your market is such that it is. I meant no offense. It's just a shame that what you deal with is becoming a trend all over. My market isn't like yours. My fear is that someday it will be is all I am saying.

15. Brian Young

I dont mean to snap but its just frustrating for me, Its our first year where we needed to hire guys, I bust my butt all summer trying to get these, we get them and now...no one seems interested in plowing. Just kinda sucks! Didnt think I would have trouble finding 2 extra guys, especially when we have plenty of hours to go around. Good luck.