1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need spring advise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, May 21, 2008.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have an 01 SD. Over the winter I broke a front spring and replaced them with the heavy duty pac. I noticed that the truck leaned but was thinking that it was the rear ones weak and was going to replace them with the heavy set anyway. Well 4 new springs still leans, exactgly 1 inch both front and rear to the drivers side. Tires not wearing body lines fine no rotted body mounts, absolutly no explination for lean except weak spring Left front. So I go back to the spring shop and we change the spring out..Still leans. We put a 1inch block under the front spring and truck is level.. I have accomplished the mission of making the truck look better but unlike the spring shop I dont feel the truck was fixed only hid the issue..Any ideas what is wrong or if their fix is really a fix. I am sure the frame and everything is fine it has to be suspension somewhere.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

well good luck man you can chase a lean for ever ,did you have the frame checked for alignment on a frame rack ? :)
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Never put blocks on the front axle. PERIOD!!! That is suspension 101, very dangerous. Lots of truck have left and right springs. On a Ford the gas tank and driver sit on the left side so that spring might have a bit more arch from the factory to compensate for the weight and sit level. Aftermarket springs may not have this.

Beyond this I would go to a good body shop and have the frame measured, if a spring broke you might have tweaked the frame somehow.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have looked at the frame where the plow meets it? I have seen a frame bent where the mount meets it.