1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Speedcaster Plow help!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Cracins, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

I have an older Speedcaster plow that would not angle right or left. And then it would work a couple of times and then stop working again. The plow goes up and down at the correct speed consistently. I changed the hydraulic components where the cables are attached. The plow went right and left normally, but now has stopped doing so again. Can anyone help? I am at my wit's end and it's snowing....hard!

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a control valve issue.If you disconnect the angle piston hoses can you move the plow by hand?

3. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

Yes, I have unhooked the plow cylinders and got no oil. Sitting here for the last three hours, trying to think of what I have not done....I am thinking it is the plow hose connectors that possibly have stuck closed or are sticking. What do you think? Could this be the problem? I don't think it's the valve control, because two of them would not be acting the same. Thank you for your feedback.

4. chevyzrule810

Another thing you can try get a bucket.Disconnect the hose from the piston itself and operate the plow to see fluid comes out of the hose and into the bucket.Have you adjusted the cables at all?

5. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

No, I haven't taken the hoses completely off, but I did loosen them to bleed the system after I installed the new control valve. The plow angled fantastically for about two hours after we were putting the truck back together. All we have done since then is to unhook and re-route the hoses and now it has stopped working again. This is why I'm thinking it's the quick-click connections. What do you think?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try what 810 said.
    You can push the ends of the couplers to see if there moving. Plowside and truckside.

7. chevyzrule810

Are the hoses where they should be? If you leave the hoses attach at the truck and disconnect them at the piston are you getting fluid before it enters the piston?

8. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

The couplings move very hard. It was very difficult to get them connected and unconnected. In fact, we had to warm them up as if they were frozen.

9. dieselss

Really? It wasn't b/c there was pressure behind then was it?
    Fluid ok? Not frozen or contaminated

10. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

I don't think so. I think they were frozen because I could not pull the outer handle down to release the coupling. I have not tried unhooking it at the cylinders, but I will try to do that tomorrow. The oil hasn't been flushed ever since I owned the truck - 5 years. Doing all the work that we have done this week plus having to add oil from a little seepage over the years, the oil doesn't look contaminated. If there were these problems that you suggest, why would the plow go up and down with no problem? Wouldn't the contaminated oil affect that piston as well? Thank you for your feedback.

11. dieselss

Frozen water in the angle rams....
    I.e. contaminated fluid...Just a lump sum guess.
    Water freezes in the angle rams, pump can't add fluid, or let it flow back. But it'll go up and down b/c of the reservoir.

12. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

I am headed out to plow with no angle. I will try a couple of your suggestions tomorrow. Wish me luck!! Thanks for all the great advice. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

13. dieselss

See if there's any places open that might carry hydraulic fittings

14. chevyzrule810

Like diesel said the fluid could be contaminated or have frozen water in the lines.Best way to fix this problem is to flush out the system.Seeing as you've owned it for 5 years and never changed the fluid it would be a good idea to do so.I change mine in my mm2 every year and never had a problem

15. dieselss

I just cought that...5 years. Really. You serious Clark

16. chevyzrule810

I would think that a system like that any amount of water that gets in there would freeze right up.Not like the new plows where it is electric

17. dieselss

Engine driven pumps are different like that. Heat from the engine to the pump. And a little more torque

18. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

Just back from plowing about 4 inches. The plow angle worked about 50% of the time. Backed it into the garage with it not working at all. It took about 2 minutes for it to angle all the way to the right and now it goes right to left with no problem or hesitation. Dropped the plow and going to bed. Frustrated.

19. chevyzrule810

Maybe the fluid got warmed up and the ice melted?

20. Cracins

Cracins Junior Member

Hi guys
    plowed this morning angle did not work for about 15 min after that now and then. If you stop and go all the way to the right it then will go left until you plow again 50/50. how do you flush system? My next project.