1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some super enviromentally friendly sidewalk material, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by syzer, Nov 17, 2009.

1. syzer

syzer Member

Hey guys, we have a community that is driving me crazy to find something that is as environmentally friendly as it can be. We currently use landscapers choice, and though we do over 50 miles of sidewalk a year with no complaints, they believe that it is killing the grass and harming the walks no matter what I tell them.

So, I have been looking no for something to use that appeases the board, however I would like something that people I know have used and have had good experiences with.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

3. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

If you want to go super super green..... beet juice (sounds strange i know) the university i went to (WIU) was testing it my senior year and it seemed to work pretty well and it made the hippies happy at the same time..... to top it all off it was near the same price range, they had a whole article about it in the school newspaper... must've been a slow news day...

4. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Syzer , we are lookin into using liquid on our walks to pre treat . This should also reduce the amount of chem. needed to use after clearing.

5. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

There's a product called Winter-green that is made by Ossian inc. They claim it will actually make grass greener. Dont have any personal experience with it though. Hopes this helps. Heres the link. http://www.ossian.com/

6. syzer

syzer Member

I have read about this before, I will look into it again. I cant remember, but they too said it worked pretty good.

Thanks Marek, this was something we were thinking about as well. What product do you plan on using, and how to you plan to apply? Anywhere locally selling it?\

Thanks Knock, I will look into it, they would certainly be happy to use something like this!

7. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, could've sworn I had a post in this thread. :rolleyes:

Thought someone said something about the Morton product just being a mixture instead of 100% sodium as well. :dizzy:

Look into Caliber M1000, great product with very little burning.