1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some Spray Help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flawless440, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt is double price here in the C.O this season.. I never have sprayed anything before.

Plan is to set up a spray system at the drag chains..

Question is how do i make liquid?

Add calcium to water?
    Someone said make brine with rock salt, so thats rock salt mixed with water??

Any help would be appreciated........:help:

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Basically yes. All you have to do is mix the correct amount of salt or calcium (depending on what you wanna make) to the correct amount of water. Once it's mixed you need to check it to make sure it's at the correct % and you are ready to roll.

We use to make our own salt brine that we mixed with a calcium brine and it worked ok. Problem was we needed like 90 gal per acre and we just were not able to carry enough with us at a time to make it worth it.

Last year we bought a liquid product out of C bus that worked awesome. We used it mainly for walks and had great results. We did spray our bulk before we put it down and had great results as well. We did spray directly on the pavement and it worked pretty well too. Plus we only needed 45 gal per acre.

We will be setting each v box up with a pre wet system this year and the trucks without v boxes are getting liquid spray rigs

3. Flawless440

Thanks Andrew, i am planning on setting up a spray rig on one of our stake beds as well.. Truck usually sets all winter..
    You found it was better to buy the product already mixed opposed to mixing your self?

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea I would much rather buy the product than try and make it. We used a CC based natural mineral well brine mixed with beet juice. Pretty awesome stuff. I like knowing the product I spray is not going to cause problems once on the customers lot. I thought I wanted to make my own mixtures but I don't have near enough time during the winter season to keep up with it. Looking at ordering a semi load of it to start the season

5. Flawless440

Will you share your supplier and pricing?. You can PM me.. How many gallons is a load? I need to find a huge tank

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Great advice

We buy ours as well. Before many chime in about how cheap it is to make your own I agree. Nothing wrong with making your own if you have the right equipment and meters to check percentages of ice melter to water ratio. With more contractors spraying all the time, I only hope this doesn't turn into the guess method like application rates did for granular material. With liquids more is not better.

Best of luck to everyone this year.