1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dieselpusher, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

im currently still in high school , i got to school in the morning and work in the afternoon the co op program. i do carpentry work as well as a volunteer firefighter and plowing :dizzy:

i have an old 95 f250 diesel with a western unimount. i need something newer and more reliable. i know someone selling his 2001 gmc 2500 duramax with a 8.5 western unimount for 18000 fully loaded with 77,000 miles backrack, tints, leather , heated seats

now id obviously take out a loan but do you think its worth it after the x amount of years is over for the loan the truck will be to old?

i need some help the truck is beautiful

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Old isn't the age or mileage, but how the vehicle's been treated. I've seen two year old trucks that have been hammered and are shot. My 8 year old 2001 with 91,000 is in great shape, and I plan on getting another 10 years out of it. Don't beat it, keep up to date with all maintenance, and most importantly rust prevention, and that vehicle could last 10 to 15 years for you. It all depends on how you treat it! :salute:

I just sent a 1969 Chev K-10 plow truck to the scrap pile this last summer. It was 40 years old, and still ran like a top(frame was paper thin with rust from road salt). So, they do last with proper maintenance and rust prevention. Now, do you still think that truck is old?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Agree it is how the truck was taken care off. Your 95 might still be worth fixing up if it is in good shape and you don't have to go $18000 in the hole. Might have to spend a bit of money on the 95 and your all set!

I have an 88 I plow with it looks good but I maintain it anything breaks it is fix right away. People always say that trucks 21 years old, but she keeps on ticking.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont do it. Payments on 18000 wont be cheap. At least 400 a month. Plus your insurance will go up. You will need full coverage. And a 2001 can still need repairs. That old 95 Ford with a 7.3 is a great truck. Stick it out till you get out of school. With this economy dont put your self in a postion to have to come up with 600+ a month just to have truck on road. Get out of High school and get a good job then buy a truck. till then spend your money on the cute lil high school girls. Dont get burden by a truck

5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

id shop around some i bought my 02 for 6000 last fall. its no show truck but in real good shape plus when u put a dent in 18000 youll be pretty bummed.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicBig Daves got good advice, it tough to snuggle up to metal especially with the costs associated with it

7. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Ya know however chicks dig chevys:rolleyes:

8. te snow

te snow Member

Ford

Stick with what you have and the ol westie. As said before, insurance is going to hurt, large payments aginst an $18,000 loan hurts, and if you only need a few hundred or thousand to keep what you have going it's a lot cheaper than the other option. I have a friend that transports horses all year long and he hasn't had a problem with his 2000 ford disiel untill now at 255,000 miles. Besides it being newer it may only have less rust and a CD player.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You should buy the Chevy. Drop off the old junker Ford at my house. I'll dispose of it for you at no charge!:D

Seriously, you've got more important things to worry about than an 18K truck payment. I know this is going to sound like a lecture from Dad, but you've got to set priorities. Make sure your school work is higher priority than snowplowing, firefighting, chasing girls, working out, football, wrestling, truck building, working, car racing, and all those other things high school kids do. Well, don't push chasing girls too far down the list though...
    wesport

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just for my own amusement I ran an Edmind.com pricing report on a 2001 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with the following options:

- 77k miles
    - Extended cab, short bed
    - heated seats
    - diesel
    - privacy glass

In perfect condition it's valued at about $13,000. So are the rack and plow worth $5,000 on an 8 year old truck?

I agree with the general consensus though...fix up your current truck and focus your time and energy on your education.