1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some opinions on what to do with this truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 93redneck150, Apr 12, 2009.

1. 93redneck150

93redneck150 Member

i have a 1999 f-350 powerstroke with 114,000 on it, a leveling kit, bullydog , western diesel intake, extra tranny coolers, spin on in line tranny filter, 5 inch straight pipe with a 4.5 inch down pipe etc.... my buddy and i rebuilt the tranny 12,000 miles ago with a custom billet torque converter heavy duty clutches, changed the accumulator spring for more line pressure etc... shifted good and firm worked great... then the two peice dipstick tube seperated on me when i was headed to the yard in nc to get some equip, before i noticed it it got hot and took out the front seal and i think the pump bushing, lost overdrive lockup but made it the 900 miles back with the equip 4 gal of atf later. sorry to ramble but i guess my question is should i sell the truck the way it is or rebuild the tranny first and what would it be worth either way? this past winter was the first year it plowed . it will be on 35 12.50's on weld wheels when it sells.
    Thanks for your opinions

2. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Sounds like you have some money tied up in the add ons. I would say if you tried to sell it "as is", you would probably not get very much for it. The add ons may not bring more money from "the next guy". The mileage seems low, the truck looks in good shape for it's age, you have other trucks to use in the meantime, you and your friend are mechanically inclined. If you planned on keeping the truck for a while, I would say fix the tranny. It would probably be a few dollars to do so, yes. If it were mine, I would have the whole thing disassembled for inspection to see if anything else got fried. Also, fix the dipstick tube problem. I feel for ya, tough decision. Good luck! Keep us posted.
  3. 93redneck150

93redneck150 Member

Thanks for your input. what do you think the truck would be worth once i fix it?, ive made the decision to sell it once it's fixed, i dont really need that truck at this time but i really have the use for a larger equipment trailer now. I'm 22 and a full time mechanic for a construction company but i'm trying to pay my bills with my repair work, hauling and plowing that i do before and i after i go to my full time job.... just trying to figure out the most cost effective thing to do with the truck... do you think it would be better to sell the aftermarket stuff seperatly?
  4. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Go to KBB.com (kelly blue book). Punch in your information and it will tell you approx.value for trade, private party, and dealer. From this same site, you can also find units for sale from dealers far and near. Compare and see. Rebuilt tranny may fetch more $$$. To be honest, I don't have much experience with most on those add ons. Can you use the trans. filter on one of your other units? What is the age on these? Anyone you know interested in these? I can tell you from personal experience that you might take a bath when you sell it. If this happens, don't dwell on it. Put it behind you and chalk it up to one of life's experiecnes. Others on this site may have more information for you.
  5. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i would fix it and keep on using that truck because your not going to get much for that truck ""ASIS""
  6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

whats the price on that truck with the plow without the plow it dont make a diffrence to me i have plows and stuff also what else you got for sale
  7. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Whats the body look like rust wise. Do you have any better pics. It looks kinda rough in that pic. Interior pics?

I would say 8 to 9K with the trans fixed 4 to 5k As Is.