1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some opinions on skid steers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rizzohhh, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rizzohhh

rizzohhh Junior Member

I am looking into getting a new skid steer. I have a bobcat S205 now and need a second machine for plowing. I for sure need a 2 speed machine. What do all you guys think i should buy case 430, new holland L175 or bobcat S205. Help i cant decide between the 3.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i like case myself, a big fan, they aren't hard to work on and loads of power, bobcat is also good, been around forever, the only one i am mediocore on is the new holland, some guys here use them a lot, but everyone i know where i live hasn't had good luck with them

3. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Not on your list, but we have 2 John Deere 325's and they work great. Tons of power, good lift capacity all round great machine.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

since we are adding other machines, don't forget CAT, i would say the most two dependable machines ever built were CAT, and CASE (this is why you see a lot of them used for construction) however Bobcat and John Deere make great all around machines, and way more comfortable too (which is why you see the landscapers usually using them)

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am very happy with bobcat machines. I have a s300 and would not trade it for any other machine. I have ran others I liked but none as much as the bobcat. At the dealer a few weeks ago i saw a S300 with over 10k hours.

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We are Bobcat people over here. so I say bobcat of course but thats not what I wanted to post. What I wanted to hint at is, why not if you have a Bobcat already and like it, keep the next one the same, allows you to deal with the same dealer, order the same parts for both machines. That is of course assuming you have good interactions with your Bobcat dealer and all that.

7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

You make a good point.

8. rob_cook2001

I agree, dealer support and parts availability is very important. It is much nicer to run to one dealer for parts than 2 or 3. If you bobcat dealer is good to deal with that should answer your question.
    One other thing I would recommend is if you plan on plowing consider a S220 for the longer wheelbase, 1000lbs heavier and 10 more horsepower.
    Robert

9. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Bobcat S250, I know its not on your list but its the perfect machine for pushing snow. JMO

10. rob_cook2001

If your going to get a S250 get a S300 :}

11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just bought a case 85xt. Its my first skid steer, and WOW. Now I see why EVERY landscaper who has a use for one has one. The maneuverability is just awesome. I know it sounds ridiculous to the guys who have been using them forever, but I've been using compact tractors for years now. And they have their place, but this thing is great.

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

They all have their pluses and minuses.
    Some are more comfortable, some cost more, some lift more.

IMO it's the dealer that makes the difference.

The dealer gets you a "deal" on a SS
    The dealer takes care of you on the maintenance, getting you in and out quickly when you need it.
    They have the parts, or can get the parts overnight.
    etc, etc, etc

Find a good dealer, buy from them and get the whole package.

13. rob_cook2001

Could not agree more. :drinkup: