1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some New Equipment Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by soundguy_99, Jan 3, 2013.

1. soundguy_99

soundguy_99 Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi Guys,
    I work for a local theater and have a fairly large area to Maintain, with snow removal.
    We have a Honda Snow Blower, for the large snow falls, but this year we have got allot of light dusting first thing in the morning. Right now we are taking a broom and sweaping the front podium and steps which takes an hour or so, but the bigger area would take way too long with a broom, and its just small enough that you can`t take it off with a shovel, and besides its a too large of an area, and would take way too long to do that every morning.
    We talked about a leaf blower but looking at the cost, I maybe thinking a snow sweaper.
    My question, is if we were looking at a leaf blower for snow, what are the things I should be looking at for specs, in terms of Engine size, Speed of Air, ect. We are going the gas route as we have too big of area to cover.
    Also after looking at the cost of the leaf blowers I thought about going the snow sweaper route if I can get one for about the same price around the $500 - $700 mark as per the ones I was looking at. That being said I can`t find any of the snow blower type units, is there any main north American Brands that sell them that I can ask our dealers to look into too. ie John Deer, Honda , What are the brands I should be looking at.
    Any thought Are greatly appreciated,
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Good Stihl backpack blower and be done with it.

Or a flamethrower.
  4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I vote flamethrower.. Or a Husqvarna Backpack blower ;-)
  5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

sometimes(for light dustings) a heavy dose of ice melt as a pre-treat will prevent any build-up

can be applied with common scotts grass seed spreader

any build-up can be handled with another light app

need to be accurate with your forecast or just wasting product

trial/error approach
  6. soundguy_99

soundguy_99 Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks for the posts,
    Like I say Its a pretty big area and allot of it is new concrete so were care full how much we use on ice melt,
    I am just cursious for those people here who have used these leaf blowers for snow, what should be the average or minimum size of blower should I look at for snow. The hand ones which are around $250 around about 25cc-28cc engine. The packback ones, around $400 - $600 and use a 50cc-68cc engine. and around 170-210 MPH for air speeds.
    If some one uses one, i am curious on what they use and their experience on it.
    Thank again,
  7. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I would hesitate to use a blower for several reasons:

1. Whoever is using it will be COVERED and SOAKED by the time they are finished.
    2. If you're pushing against any sort of wind, it will be a losing battle.
    3. Blowers can only move so much snow.
    4. Cost, for a really good blower, you will need to shell out some $$

If you do decide to go that route, go with a backpack blower and use Shindaiwia. I personally feel that Shindaiwa will push more air than any Stihl. I cleaned out railroad track switches with both a Stihl and Shindaiwa backpack blower and I felt that the Shindaiwa product far out performed the Stihl.

A sweeper brush would be your best bet. Maybe look into seasonally renting a self-propelled brush? You can get a brush on the end of a trimmer powerhead, but I think that will be painful.

Have you looked into any liquid pre/post-treat options? I know that we demoed some liquid pre-treat that we applied with a backpack sprayer, but I can't recall the product name. Your local John Deere Landscapes might have some better suggestions if you find yourself hung up.

I think this is the stuff we demo'd: http://www.tomkenproducts.com/pretreatdeicer.html
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Man for light dustings there is nothing faster in my opinion than a backpack blower. I have a redmax 7000 model and it goes great!!! Just go with the wind.... don't blow into it!!!

Now with that being said, the fella above is right. You can only blow away so much snow with a blower so its only going to be good to a certain point. if there is an inch or less its all we use (and salt afterwards of course) but remember like said above some snow will get on you and it will be wet..... I have goretex rain gear I slip on before I blow off the walks..............
  9. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Stihl BR600 is the best blower IMHO...last one I bought back in March paid $415 for it.

For heavier snow get a nice used Toro CCR2000 - Has Suzuki 4.5hp two-stroke engine, directional chute and will move more snow faster than any single stage snow blower ever built...especially shines in the heavy wet stuff. I own 4 of them and paid between $175-$225 for each unit.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I have redmax blowers I use year round from cleaning clippings off streets to moving dry snow off walkways, I don't even bother winterizing because I find uses for 'em so often. Sounds like a combo of blowers and salt are what you need.