1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need some knowledge from the very intelligent plowsite community...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dubeb31, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

ok i know i'm a suck up....but here's my prob, i'm looking to go after the Plowing & Ice management at a new Walmart in the area....how would i go about contacting Walmart about this service? Thanks a ton, dubeb31
  2. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Talk to the manager and be reay to cut throat prices big time. Other words work cheap. Our local wally world is cheap and the first few years i watched contractors cut like hell to get it like it was a prize. I really would not want it, it is always so busy with cars in the way to plow around a real pain. Good luck.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Right on Mike. why cut prices to get a job, because its big if your not going to make money. Anybody opened 24/7 is a bit#$ to do, will generate lawsuits, and demand a great deal of time and attention.
  4. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

ditto, everyone wants to plow the local wally world. talk to the manager and find out if it is a company owned store or if they are a tenant. if it is a company owned store then the manager will set up the snow removal, if they are a tenant, then there is a manger of the property and that person will handle the snow removal. i used to do my 3.5 acre wal mart for 1200 dollars and now its getting done for about 500 wiith a couple of pickups. there are always cars in the lot too, you wouldnt believe how many people stock shelves at night and i think they must all drive two cars to work. good luck.
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Contact the store manager and tell him you are interested in bidding. If he is looking for a quote, then he will get one from you. If he is happy, then probably stick with current contractor. They are not all cheap. Our local wm stores went with cheap to start out, but the guys never showed up, or showed up late, or just couldn't handle it. We have had our wm for 4 years now. This is a very demanding site to plow. Think about pushing the main aisle in front of the entrances when the snow starts in mid-afternoon and you are trying to clean it about dinner time or into the evening. People stop right in front of you and wait for their wives to get out, or actually load the groceries in the car in front of the entrance while you are behind them with a full blade of snow. Our traffic doesn't slow down until about 1am. Sweeping their parking lot is the same. Lots of cars buzzing across the lot as you are pushing out the lanes. It is a real pain, but they give us work every day of the year, so we don't complain. Good luck, and don't try to attempt it unless you have at least 4-6 plows on a big snow. 2-3 trucks and a skidloader to get between cars works fine on a 1-3" snow. Just wait for the big snows, and you will see what a pain it is. We had 16" the week before Christmas one year that just kept falling. 10 trucks, 3 backhoes, and 2 skidloaders pushed for over 20 hours straight to keep their lot clear. If you could get to the lot on the nasty roads, you had no problem, but most of the roads were 10x worse than the lot. Just know what you are getting into before you bid.