1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some input on bidding maintenance

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cold_and_tired, Mar 4, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Let me give you a little background on myself.

I started working in the excavating business when I was 16. When I was 22, I was promoted to Estimator for a company that did 5-10 million a year. I started pushing snow on the side 3 years ago and have been doing it every year since.

I was laid off last July and have been doing my own thing ever since. I made it through the summer and landed a few more snow removal contracts for this season.

A few of those contracts were HOA's. They have asked me for some estimates on maintenance for the summer. Since the excavating market has really slowed here, I figure I should do it. I honestly have never bid on maintenance and dont really know where to start.

One of my HOA's has 51 homes each with appx 1,100 sq ft of lawn. Are you guys just figuring an hourly rate for mowing and putting that into a monthly price or do you figure it by the square foot?

There is a little pruning involved but not much at all. I could probably figure that into an hourly rate.

Basically I just need a jumping off point.

If you feel like it, you can shoot me a PM and we can go into further detail.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think you're going to run into trouble receiving PMs because you only have 1 post. You need 10 in order to have PM privileges.

Aside from that, if you only have to mow 1,110 sq ft of grass at every place that won't take you long at all. You'll be mowing a little more than an acre which shouldn't take more than an hour with the right machine.

Get a couple of guys on weed whips and you should be able to knock that entire job out in a very short amount of time.

I would not bid this job out based upon an hourly rate because it's not going to take you very long. Give them a monthly price (or even seasonal).
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

While trying to plug hourly rates in, I have come up with roughly $4,500 a month for weekly mowing, fertilizer twice a year, pruning and just general clean-up ( dog waste, litter, etc.)

Sound like I am getting close?
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with pricing in your area but $4500 would be a very tough sell where I live. I'll also tell you that I fertilize more than twice a year...spring, two summer apps and a fall application of fert + pre emergent herbicide.

I also keep the parking lots clean with a Billy Goat vacuum and I don't see where you mentioned any service like that.
  5. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I would be charging around $6000.00 per month here. Fertilizer went up around 150% over the past season or so.
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I had a hole big answer and then my computer server went down.

Basicly I would base a price on $20 per lawn x 51 lawns x 4 times a month= $4080 (volumn discount)

Trimming is maybe 2 guys for 2 days 2 times a year.

Fert: take the sq ft x 51 homes and go to your local supplier and get a price for a 4 time per year application. In my area you need a certification to apply fert. Not sure if that is a national thing or not.

Take the trimming, fert and what ever else costs and divide by the number of months you will be mowing. Add that cost to the mowing cost and you have a monthly rate.
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member