1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Some Info

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by J P, Jan 12, 2006.

1. J P

J P Junior Member

Hello to all you truck lovers and snowplowers.
    I'm new on this site but am In need of some advice.
    I am looking to put a plow truck on the road for next winter.
    What is a good truck to by or look for. Reg. cab ? Xtra cab ect. I am also wondering what does plow insurance roughly cost? I am very good at plowing as I did for a few years ago. Also I have a western plow 3 years old 6.5 feet I picked up for 2 grand but it comes off a dodge so what would i need to make it fit on a chev. or gm ? Also any other info would be great. Any one looking for back-up or willing to help me out from set up to snowplowing next year??

Thanks Jeff

ALSO I HAVE A 1986 DIESEL 4X4 RANGER 4- SALE NEEDS SOME WORK BUT ALL 4X4 EXCELLENT $4,900. AS IS

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Ranger diesel? I'd like to see pictures!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to Plowsite, Jeff. I prefer regular cabs due to the weight factor. The less weight on the front end, the more weight available for a plow and the less wear on the front end components. If you've got a 6.5' plow, it must be off a small Dodge pickup. Most 1/2 tons will take a 7.5'. Actually, if you're looking to buy a truck for plowing, I'd advice at least a 3/4 ton since they're made considerably stronger than most 1/2 tons.

To switch that plow to a GM/GMC, you'll likely need new pushplates.

As far as General Liability insurance, it will depend a lot on your circumstances. Mine is around $725/yr for $1,000,000 with a clean record. Limited to primarily Residential accounts with Commercial secondary. No employees and I am the only driver. Commercial Vehicle insurance is around $660 per vehicle for full coverage.

4. J P

J P Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks Mick What you think about 2grand for the 6-7 ft western plow thats 3 years old
    how do you estimate cost of lots or driveways you plow

5. J P

J P Junior Member

Great truck need work 1986 ranger

Its a great truck needs some work rest of body all southern give me your email and i will sent u pics or tell me how to do it here

6. Mick

from Maine

Hard to tell without seeing it. I selling five year old 7.5' and 1/2 ton truck for $2,000. As far as pricing lots, you really need someone local to help with that.

7. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

6.5s usually go on jeeps and compact pickups. I would be careful about what you put it on because a larger truck may have a wider tire track than the plow. Also consider that you will often have the plow angled which will in effect make it narrower.
    With that said, if you are buying a truck for the plow, there is no way I'd buy a 3/4 ton for a 6.5' plow. Go no bigger than 1/2 ton, and get the narrowest 1/2 ton you can find. You might consider one of the older jeep pickups or something like that. Also, I'd get the shortest thing you can, because with the 6.5, driveways will be your game. -Phillip

8. Mick

from Maine

I didn't mean to suggest putting a 6.5' on a 3/4 ton. What I really had in mind was a 3/4 ton and getting an 8' plow for it. By the time you buy pushplates for that 6.5' and the cost of getting it installed, you're going to have quite a bit into it. Unless you can find some used pushplates somewhere and do it youself. Thoughts don't get across on the Internet and you don't get facial expressions and so on. I was trying to be kind. I'd suggest you rethink putting that used 6.5' on anything you have yet to buy if you're going to use it commercially - as in plowing other than your own driveway. From your posts, it appears you do intend to plow commercially.

9. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Why not just swap blades with someone for a 7 1/2? Mick are you selling a complete truck/plow setup? Got any pics?

10. Mick

from Maine

Yes. I'll have to look around on the harddrive and see if there are pictures I haven't posted. Otherwise, there are some pictures I've posted before of it - '90 red/white Dodge with a 7.5' Fisher. It's rusted over both wheel wells and the 4wd is out of it - cost $300 to fix. Right now it's supposedly "sale pending".

11. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Cool, good luck. If she's still around I may want to take a look. My girlfriend (originally from Kingfield, ME) and I are probably moving to Kingfield this summer as we are having a baby in August. Her family is helping us out with everything, so anyways, I am looking for a cheap plow truck to do some driveways with in the winter. Cheaper than putting one on my 02 Ram.

12. J P

J P Junior Member

Sorry Guys its a 7.5 western 3 yrs old

I apolagize guys i remeasured and the plow is a 7.5 comes off a 1993 dodge ram its a hide away design. Take the plow of all in one piece and not even no there was a plow on the truck.
    Actually I'm looking into buying a 2002 2005 chev silvarado or sierra whats your thoughts

13. Mick

from Maine

That makes a lot of difference. The plow should do well on either the Silverado or the Sierra (1500s). You'll still need pushplates. $2000 for a 3yr old 7.5' sounds ok if it's in good shape.

14. J P

J P Junior Member

$$$ Push plates

So what is the rough cost to install this plow on a chev ect.

Do I have to do anything with front suspension to keep it stiff ? The plow weighs 680 pounds roughly

Thanks for all the help:drinkup: