1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need some info on a

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gd8boltman, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Boss RT1, I have an 1990 RT1 that the left wing retracts about half way and stops. If I hold the retract button and someone puts a little pressure on it then it will retract fine. I have changed the couplers, springs are adjusted propery etc. right wing works as it should. On a very seldom occasion the left wing will not extend for a brief time, pump motor bogs down then after a few seconds it takes off. Ram looks to be straight, just a little confused. I am hoping someone could point me to a site that has the repair manual,troubleshooting, and a wiring diagram for this plow. Or if anyone knows the problem, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it needs the center hinge greased. Often overlooked but still an important maintenance item.

3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Greased the center hinge

and it retratcs perfectly now, won't forget that again. When I extend the left wing it is still bogging the pump motor down and not moving. If I hit the switch several times it will extend out with no delay or excessive load, and thoughts?

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Clean the connectors on the switch

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Needs a good flush (debris trapped in or behind the wing extend valve).

2) Same valve is worn or contaminated.

3) Need the coil connections cleaned. The coils magnetism may be weakened by a poor electrical connection causing it to not pull the spool fully every time.

Wouldn't hurt to at least pull the valve out and give it a good cleaning along with stroking the spool with a small screwdriver to see if it's tight. When they get really old the spool tends to drag in the valve. Causing the exact issue you're experiencing.

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

anybody have a manual available via pdf etc? not sure which the wing extend valve, have had no luck on a google search. thanks for the advice.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There hasn't been an RT1 made since before the personal computers were common place. So no PDF manuals on those. :D

However you can use an RT2 manual as the hydro's didn't change much. Or you can post a good clear straight on pic of the valve manifold, I'll point out all the valves and such and repost it for you.

8. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Thanks B&B, was not sure if one

was scanned into the digital age. I'll see what I can do. Even though I have had this plow "forever" it has been until this point one of the most dependable units in our fleet, it is still in great shape and has been worked like a pack mule. Thanks for the guidance and happy thanksgiving.